right side airbag

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bimmer

right side airbag

Post by bimmer »

Hey
Ill hear about noone knows how i can take of the right (pasenger side) airbag on an xantia 97. I have to get it off so i can get a babythair in front.Can i maby put a switch in so i can turn it on/off like the new models ??
Bimmer
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Im assuming the 97 Xantia doesnt have a breaker switch then like the later ones? (a little red switch near handbrake to turn it off and on)
You could fit a manual breaker in the supply to the airbag, but personally i wouldnt recommend you do this yourself - take it to a qualified auto electrician. Its always risky messing with airbag wiring and there is a potential of false detonation.
My dad had this done with his Golf (Mk 3), VW did it and it cost him about 40 GBP. They fitted an additional switch to the dash, the downside was they had to disconnect the airbag fault lamp for the passenger one as it would remain illuminated at all times.
Air bags and home DIY - not a good mix. The cheaper altenative is to fit baby seat in rear and invest in some bright soft toys and a rear seat mirror from mothercare.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Even if you disconnect the wiring to the detonator, you've still got a small explosive charge sitting there in the dashboard. I know its very unlikely, but if you ask the manufacturers if one of the later models with a switchable airbag is 100% safe when switched off, they will decline to reply.
I personally would NEVER place a child in a front mounted child seat with any sort of airbag fitted in front of it, disconnected or not. The fact is front mounted airbags kill children - it happens every year!
//NiSk