Butchered Sump Plug

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The sump plug on my current Xantia has a socket in it but it also has a hex head that a normal socket will go on if you know what I mean. I round either set of flats off, I've got another set as a backup.
Perhaps you could get a sump plug like mine.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Sounds like a good idea - just hope the thread is the same!
//NiSk
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Just for the record, the plug on my 2.5 "floats" on the captive nut in the sump. That is, when it is loosened, it can be moved 3mm in each direction. I guess that it's caged on the sump side.
Also, my engine, too, does seem to sit very loosely on it's rubber mountings.
rg
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

All 3 of my recent Citroen's have had a sump plug that has 24mm hex head with an 8mm square cut into the middle of it.[:)]
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

My Xantia has this type of plug too, when the original started to get rounded off I replaced it with one from a Pug 306 1.9TD
If you go into a car spares shop and ask for a sump plug for a Citroen they think they don't stock them, so ask for one for a Peugeot instead - exactly the same !
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Just read through Haynes BOL about 2.5TD sump removal - funny while under the car it didn't look too difficult - according to Haynes its an auxilliary belt and bottom engine mount off job - darn, specially as the gasket appears to be weaping, I thought I'd kill two birds . . .
Must get under it again and see if its really true . .
//NiSk
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Well the MIG and a suitably ground-down 12mm bolt did the trick - I'd guess that the heat from the welding did most good. Plug now replaced with Citroën original (and rubber-faced washer - which was sadly lacking from the stuck drain plug!) with square 8mm hole in middle.
Pumped out the old LHM while I was at it - nasty dirty yellow-brown colour and the filters were completely black (couldn't even see through them!). The LHM tank wash-out will have to wait until I drain out the Hydraflush the system is now circulating in 5000 km, The XM 2.5TD really is in the same class as the Jag XJ12 when it comes to space in the engine room - looks like I'll have to dismantle half the induction system just to get the LHM tank out (including the air/water intercooler!)
//NiSk