Forum Poll: please place you comments!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Richard -
How easy is it to fit the water pump housing and cam/crank seals? On the last swap I didn't bother doing them. Is it highly advisable and are the parts expensive (as with most peeps I am doing this on a non-existent budget; I bought the car because my wife is due our 1st on New Years Eve and whilst she is at home for the 1st 6 months she is going to need a car to get 'out' in case of problems etc (we live a bit out in the sticks!).
I have had a quick look at the haynes manual and skim read the bit about the seals, is it just the case of popping the old seals out and placing the new ones in?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Sorry- should have read that a bit more carefully. Yes, swap the engines over.
you could do clutch and tensioners, water pump and belt at the same time, but it may be wiser to renew the radiator as a matter of course if it has exceeded 100,000 miles to avoid a repeat of the blown HG. On a tight budget, I'd rather do that. at 127,000, it won't need tensioners and I'd reckon that the water pump will be ok for a year or two.
As you can pull off both gearboxes, choose the better clutch cover of the two and fit that clutch unless both are shot in which case you'll have to stretch the budget.
Gearbox input shaft seal, do it it is easy.
crank seal; I wouldn't bother.
Cam seals, easy enough.