handbrake failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hmmmm ...
This is rather tough on me ... [:I]
One side of me says never go replace one side only ... [8)]
- on the other hand, if the car behaves perfect, and the job was done by a professional garage, then it's got to be OK.[:)]
So dont worry Ryan [:)]
But still : come on gang !
This is an important issue : submit your views here !
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If you're worried, get it checked on a brake dynamometer - if both sides pull up equally, there's nothing to worry about. (The Swedish equivalent of the MOT includes a braking test on a dynamometer - and a difference of up to 10% in braking force between sides is permissable).
//NiSk
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

thanks for all the advice.
I will be replacing the caliper asap. I have another car so its not an emergency. As for welding the component that is not an option as it could lead to another failure if not done correctly (weld prep and ndt etc)
The cables were replaced in july and the car (210000) flew through the mot. I noticed the handbrake becoming slack last week. I thought it was due to the cables being new and requiring adjustment!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

If you only need one caliper, then only one is needed. There is rarely the need to replace two because they fail singly.
In this PARTICULAR case, I'd replace both because the caliper must be a right mess to get into that kind of failure and if the other has been as well maintained...