Becoming classics?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I dont understand why the standard bx 16v had so much silencing<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Nor do I, which made me wonder why he spent all that money on a carb conversion, intake work, etc, only to replicate the standard exhaust system.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">he's been seduced by a Swede... and no it's not Ulrika<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Its not Sven, is it??????[:0][:0]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Thats one of the things I like about the Xantia exhaust system, 2 inch straight through pipe and a big backbox which is enough to keep it quiet without being restrictive.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Anyone intrested should take a look here and read the wise words of Dave Baker http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pug16v.htm If you have not seen it before, its generally accepted as "the" tuning guide for the 1.9 16v.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

read it many times and it is indeed good. Just wish I had a couple of grand and could take my engine to him and say, "apply" heh :)
Vaguely Related: There was a Richard Longman (famous peugeot engine builder), built mi16 engine for sale before, 10K, 292bhp, basically touring car spec, yummy
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Are we all missing something here, though? If that 168 BHP is at the wheels, then it is a respectable output.
Trouble is, no matter how much you sspend on making it go faster, there will be something that does the job better and cheaper. The BX has the advantage of power to weight ratio, being made of coloured air but the money spent to get it to go, compared to a Saab which already does, makes the BX solution irrelevant.
People are not going to pay Ferrari money for a BX.
As for the "If it is not original, it is not classic" argument, There isn't one.
There was an old Ecurie Belge D-type at goodwood last year that had been hacked around with brackets and heaven knows what rivetted all over. Against the pristine "original" car, this was far the more valuable. Remus isn't original either but He'll be the least affordable ERA. A continuous competition history helps.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by VisaGTi16v</i>

Re: bx 16v exhausts. The standard system has about 8 foot of silencing in total across the 3 boxes as one goes in and back out on itself. Ive now got a 1.9 16v in my visa and that just has a single pipe to 1 rear silencer thats a bit bigger than standard with a 2.5-3 inch exit pipe and yet the noise isnt too loud. Well inside the noise regs for me and passes mot emmisions fine so I dont understand why the standard bx 16v had so much silencing
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The first 'silencer' is not a silencer but a tuning part. Its an expansion chamber which is used to absorb the pressure waves produced by the exhaust valves opening and releasing the high pressure inside the cylinder. The wave travels at the speed of sound (which for the hot exhaust gasses is not the same as in cold air) and then is stopped or reflected at the expansion chamber. The greatest affect occurs where the seperation piece inside the exhaust finishes and this sends low pressure down to the other exhaust valves for scavenging. The remaining energy of the pressure wave is absorbed by the expansion chamber so that it is not reflected by another part of the pipe which might mess up the original tuning of the pipe.
You might not lose lots of power removing this part but its not there for nothing. This is similar to what I was saying about the inlet manifold.
Remember Citroen knows best!
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
he's right, if that's 168hp at the wheels, that would be a DRAMATIC improvement. They are 160hp at the flywheel with no auxilaries aren't they ???
seeya,
Shane L.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

thats correct but i emailed him with the auction first went on and he agreed the 170 was low which implied it was at the engine.
Itdontgo: Whoosh over my head heh, I kinda see what youre saying, I binned the rest of the bx exhaust 2 years ago so no real option now to put it back on
Jon

Post by Jon »

I would have thought that the standard BX 16v exhaust must have actually been quite good as the original cars produced 160BHP! Its interesting that the cross silencer, inter pipe and rear box are shared with the GTi 8v and the Turbo D though....
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

GTI need freflowing exhausts for power.
TDs need them for fuel economy and low down torque (turbos don't like restrictions).
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Does the 8v have the same manifold? Weird on the 16v having 8 exhaust ports into 4 then into 2 and in the first foot or so of the exhaust is a divide in the middle which im told is to equalise the lengths of the inlet/exhaust manifold area or something, donno where I read that :)
http://home.iprimus.com.au/bwjones/neil/001.jpg
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

There are a number of theories that apply to exhausts but one is to try and equalise the pipe lengths and split the pipes until the first junction. So with a firing order of 1342 nos 1 and 4 are joined as are 2 and 3. This means that an adjacent pulse goes into the other pipe. The 16 valve manifold seems to be built on this basis, subject to the restrictions of front wheel drive and transverse mounting.
As for the sharing of exhausts components with the TD and 8 valve - having designed one free flowing exhaust why bother to design others. The TD will not have problems with pulses as the turbo will break them up nicely but will of course need to pass a high volume.
jeremy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

There are a number of theories that apply to exhausts but one is to try and equalise the pipe lengths and split the pipes until the first junction. So with a firing order of 1342 nos 1 and 4 are joined as are 2 and 3. This means that an adjacent pulse goes into the other pipe. The 16 valve manifold seems to be built on this basis, subject to the restrictions of front wheel drive and transverse mounting.
As for the sharing of exhausts components with the TD and 8 valve - having designed one free flowing exhaust why bother to design others. The TD will not have problems with pulses as the turbo will break them up nicely but will of course need to pass a high volume.
jeremy
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Incidentally, Chris's car is currently standing at £1800.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Theres another bx on ebay now but this ones far from standard. I dont know whats worse, the steering wheel, bonnet vent, headlights or the rear seat belt pads!!! ARGH http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW