Becoming classics?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Incredible how the man gets so much criticism for doing what he wants and making a good job of it - I'm astounded.
It's a cracking car, and worth every penny IMHO.
Some people tend to get jealous when they see someone else doing a superb job, and setting it's monetary value accordingly.
I just hope that if it goes, it goes to a good home - I'm confident Chris will ensure it does.
Incidentally, you cannot compare any Vectra to a BX16V.
Dan
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

I must agree 100% with the seller option of dumping the BX and getting an Activa, especially an Activa Mk2 V6.
There was a test made between an Activa and a BX 16Valve on a circuit without a single strength line. The Activa times fulminated BX ones and the cameraman on the BX just couldn't hold his camera!
Advantages of the Activa:
- Far superior suspension (altough danger on wer roads due to no feeling of the limits).
- Safer (deformation principles, air-bags, etc.).
- Build construction. It's a car! CX with all that plastic looks more like a toy.
- Better braking.
- A noble engine (V6).
- If we're talking about tuning, it's easy and cheap to push the 194hp base spec to 250hp without stressing the engine. Even Renault did it on the Clio V6.
- It is present on the Classics Books, like the DS, the SM, the Jaguar E, the Lotus Elan, Bentley, etc. The BX value as a classic is... zero.
Wise decision! Get rid of that toy. Xantia Activa V6 mk2 is a dream machine (and much more reliable than a SM...).
Jon

Post by Jon »

Unfortunately, we didn't get Activa Mk2 V6 in the UK. All 974 registered Activas were the 2.0 Turbo. I would add that the BX is gradually moving from bargain banger status to the edge of being classic, indeed the BX GTi has been listed in Practical Classics valuation guide for the past few months. I would agree that the Xantia is a stronger, better built car. I wonder what Chris will be doing to his new Activa, scope for plenty there.
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

He hasn't got an Activa.........
Jon

Post by Jon »

Doh, Vanny said "he's sick of the car (and becoming addicted to the Activa!)." So, I assumed.....[:D]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">, you cannot compare any Vectra to a BX16V<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It wasn't the car I was comparing, but the owners attitude!! Cars for a hobby are an absolute money pit, and once personalised and tuned, etc, are basically only of interest to the person who spent the money, no matter how nice it is, and the BX in question does undoubtedly look good!
My neighbour thinks his Vectra is the greatest car in the world- its got all the mods, lowered, flipped, etc, but it's still, to me , only a Vectra, and no matter what he does to it , it won't make it any more desireable.
As I said, no matter how much you preen a BX, you're on to a loser and will never get your money back.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

at least the bx was a good car to start with etc, who on earth would buy a vectra honestly thinking it was a great car and then spend tons on it to make it stick out! :)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

My weirdo neighbour!!!!!He hates it when I tell him that the cavalier was better!!!!
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Jon - he's been seduced by a Swede... and no it's not Ulrika.
BXbodger - Anyone who personalises their car and lavishes cash on them is FULLY aware they are not going to get the money back, that's not why they do it, it's not like converting the loft in your house, or putting double glazing in that you know puts value on your property - we know car modding doesn't give the same effect.
We do it because we love it.
However there is a VAST gulf of difference between this car, and a modified hatch with a bad boy bonnet, a flip paint job, and a badly fibreglassed bonnet bulge that is cracking all round, and has been driven in to the ground, as opposed to Chris's car that is universally respected as one of the best examples, alongside Robin's Red K plater - If anyone knows that one.
He's not askig to get back what he spent on it I'm sure, that would be a lot more than he will get, but obviously people are willing to pay a percentage more than for a boggo standard one, as the bidding on ebay categorically proves.
Vectra - errhum, yes I agree - bet it has those oh so rare Lexus rear light clusters too - Yawwwn.
Lexus should be sued for developing that style of light.
Dan
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

god yes, they are "ok" on lexus's (lexi?) but i cringe when i see them on 205 gti's etc as that car especially looks best in standard form, except maybe dimma ones
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

To be a classic, a car HAS to be original or as close to original as possble.
I've seen a lot of cars that have been "boy racered" up at great cost, they are of most value to the person who has had the work done, and are valuable to a lesser extent to other "boy racers".
To the general public they are of a lower value than an unmodified cars since people don't want to touch vehicles that have had any non-manufacturer approved modifications carried out. Small vehicle modifiers simply don't have the resources to assess the effect a modification will have on a vehicle.
As for BXs being classics, I think they are still too common for them to be regarded as a classic car, for sure they are more likely to become a classic than their peers. It is going to take time and significant numbers of deaths before they have the rarity of a classic.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

In my day it was a K&N pancake (chrome, of course...) a bigger pair of SU's, and a straight-through back box!!!
It made no difference, of course......probably made the mini or anglia or whatever actually slower!!!
This car's alleged low power problem is probably down to the dreadful exhaust system that appears to be fitted...........
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Or just wear.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Re: bx 16v exhausts. The standard system has about 8 foot of silencing in total across the 3 boxes as one goes in and back out on itself. Ive now got a 1.9 16v in my visa and that just has a single pipe to 1 rear silencer thats a bit bigger than standard with a 2.5-3 inch exit pipe and yet the noise isnt too loud. Well inside the noise regs for me and passes mot emmisions fine so I dont understand why the standard bx 16v had so much silencing
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Between a Xantia 2.0CT (a basic 2.0 liter 4 cilinder with a small turbo that provides constant torgue at most used rpm's) and a BX 16V, the decision is not so easy.
The Xantia is very heavy if compared to the BX, and the 2.0CT is not a sports engine. Nothing close to the 7.7sec 0-100km/h of the BX 16valve. All the fun will be gone. Also, it is difficult to work that engine. Forget the 250Hp/160mph you would achieve on the V6 Activa. Any kid with a Saxo 16V, a Ranault Clio 16, etc, will leave you behind eating dust... [xx(]