Warm Air \ Cold Air

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

Post by Twiss »

What u mean i should'nt hear the turbo!!!!!!
it whistles and gets louder and i put my foot down. I'll check for leaks over the weekend. i found a residue of oil inthe air pipe ( the pipe that goes from the air filter box to the turbo.
the way this is goign it sounds like i am going to have to strip the car and clean and tighten every thing up !!!! thank 4 yer help.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If you can hear a whistle, you have a leak in a pipe. I shouldn't worry about a bit of oil in the pipework. Both of mine quickly developed that from new.
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Take the intercooler off (only 3 allen key bolts on my engine) and use some degreaser or if u havnt got that washin up liquid or as somebody up the post suggested petrol and scrub the outside of the IC gently and make sure you flush through the inside of it too. If your doing it in the bath tub dont let the missus see the tub till youve cleaned up after yourself! (saves on ear ache)
the change when i put it back was instant. I changed the air filter the day b4 i cleaned my IC it was great, improvement one day and then again the next
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">but i cant do a fifty mile run because on the I.O.W there to many bends by the time i hit 60 i got to slow down for a bend!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Just leave it in second!
Have you checked the gasket between the intercooler and manifold? If this is not OK, it will whistle when the turbo spools up, worse when cold.
BTW, posts are easier to read if you do not use textspeak - we do not charge by the letter!! [;)][;)]
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Update!!!
just done a service on the ZX Got my power back (which is nice)i also traced that air leak to the intake pipe to the turbo (air box to Turbo)much quieter now. Thanks u lot
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

The reason diesels have intercoolers is partly because the air is denser but also because it takes more power to compress hot air then cold air. On marine/land based turbines they have multi-stage compression with intercoolers in between each stage so that less power is drawn by the compressor as a whole. Even though the compressed gas is cooler than it would be without the intercooler - and hence requires more energy/fuel to heat it in the combustion stages - the overall efficiency is higher because less power from the turbine stages is taken for the compressor. Its a similar story in the diesel engine. This is tricky to appreciate without seeing it mathematically.
In a petrol the greatest affect is due to the risk of pre-ignition due to the hot compressed gasses although the other principles still apply.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Hello People. now i have got my power back in my little ZX, my mind has been thinking about cool air( not on the brain!!! )am i right in saying that the intercooler cools the air, making it more dense thus allowing the turbo to compact more air into the intercooler before it enters the piston chamber? if so if i modifid the intercooler (get another on from a scrap yard)so that small pipes run in between the intercooler core with a liquid in them bringing the temp down even further inside the intercooler( dont know how to do it yet ) would it 1:- do any damage to any parts like the turbo 2:- make any differance 3:- would it be possible to do?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I assume you were planning to use the engine coolant circuit to provide the liquid, this will be hot and will probably end up warming the air up instead of cooling it down.
On a Xantia, the intercooler is in front of the radiator, this is so that it isn't exposed to the hot air coming off the radiator.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Ah no. the cooling bit was going to be a completly different system like a addon, the pipes would run from the intercooler to the front of the car as to be cooled by passing air, driven by a pump (proberly an electric one ) simerly to an air condition unit.
Thought of doing this cos it would be just as differcult a, as it would to move the intercooler to the fromt of the car.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

>on the I.O.W there to many bends by the time i hit 60 i got to slow down for a bend!!
You're just not trying hard enough - I hit 90 indicated in a 652cc Visa going over the downs from the Hare & Hounds in my younger more stupid days (I'd stick to about 85 now[:I]) Had to stop at the bottom to recover from the adrenaline surge getting round the bend mind you....[8)]
Whereabouts on IOW do you live? I lived in Chillerton (under the TV mast with the red lights) for nearly 20 years - but thankfully got a pass out[|)]!
If you want more ooomph out of your TD read the threads on here about increasing the turbo boost and fuelling - water spray on the intercooler will liberate only a few HP, whereas you might get 20 from tweaking the turbo[}:)]
Course, you'll probably be back then asking about changing the head gasket....[:D]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Why not just move the actual intercooler to the front of the car? It's the done thing.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Is it easy to move the TD intercooler to the front of the aircon condenser? What are the mods necessary? How much does it improve the power, is it noticeable? I've also been thinking of wrapping up the pipe of cooled air from intercooler to engine with those exhaust wrap to prevent heat soak from engine below. Maybe even using the ZX diesel plastic inlet manifold instead of the Xantia TD metal one, if it fits. What do you think?
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Well I live in Sandown but as my gorlfriend lives in newport i take the downs nearly every day so i'll what i can get upto!!!! i've read the thread about increaseing boost and fuel but i just aint that confident doing it my self,if someone could explain the correct amount of tuning to do ( how many turns of the screw or boost. is moving the intercooler abig job and how do u get the connection to the manifold? (where intercooler sits on?)
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Why? your island is not large enough to get above 50, as you said.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

ok i freely admit that the island is small but haveing that bit extra for overtaking is always good (small island means short ditance to over take). plus i also do alot of driving on the mainland.