ZX TD Starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Well im only going on what the citroen bloke tells me. (im also a bit puzzled about this one, one minute its fine, next its not) Il look more closely tomorrow at whats happening with it. Its a shame to scrap / move on to another car due to the ammount ive spent. I was actually looking at hanging on to the car, finding a replacement engine, and changing it myself when I get some free time, and for the time being finding something cheap to knock about it. Like I said, il find out tomorrow.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Very odd this one. [?] I think you should take your car to a diff garage in future, and get the bores checked for compression. a second (better informed?) opinion would be a really good idea right now. I don't believe the 'porous block' theory either. I seem to remember someone cured a small head leak temporarily with some sort of additive? (fortes)??.
Meanwhile, if the 2nd opinion is just as bad, and if it still runs ok, use it untill you get a replacement engine and have time to swop them over..
Did you bleed the system when you added the new water??? better bleed it asap and add some anti freeze in case it gets real cold before you get round to the engine swop..
tfurness

Post by tfurness »

Wilkobob you must be gutted. I know the feeling a bargain becomes a bollox.
I think your mechanic must be a using a divine aid. I have replaced several head gaskets on the 1.9 d/td lump without a trace of evidence on the gasket that they are blown, yet they did impressions of volcanoes through the expansion tank. However after checking the head was within tolerance a new gasket has always cured the problem.
Pressure test the head, skim if necessary and if there is enough meat there then use a new good quality gasket, new head bolts and do it to the book.
My bet would be that the head wasn't skimmed last time, when it needed to be or that it want correctly torqued down, windy gun?
I took a head off a 1.9 d zx Yesterday it had both hex bolts and torx bolts holding the head on, I wasn't surprised to find the tension on the bolts varied from ridiculously tight to finger tight. Who does this to a car?
You would be unlucky to have a porous block on such a new car.
Good luck -Tom
PS. I am after a front bumper in burgundy if your breaking it....
Jon

Post by Jon »

To add to this topic, I agree with the above, and have never had any block trouble with the 1.9TD.
However, I once owned a ZX TD that still pressurised despite new rad, head skim, Genuine gasket and new headbolts correctly torqued. Convinced that we'd done it wrong we ripped it all apart the next week and fitted another gasket, and new bolts. Still as bad.
In the end, gave up and fitted a new head, cured! Seems as if the old head had an internal crack. This is not unheard of, and is very bad luck.
I'm sure your best plan is "off with its head" right now, get the head flat tested and/or skimmed, fit OE quality head gasket (Elring or Corteco Meillor) and use new head bolts tightened correctly and to the right torque. Nine times out of ten it does work, unless you are really unlucky like I was (above) some years ago. [V]
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Well, the guy I have taken my car to has done quite a bit of work for me and people I know. Ive known him quite a while now, and trust him. He has had the head pressure tested, and it is fine. I have however at this moment, told him to repair it as it is (just stick the engine back together) as I cant afford to have it fixed. When I can afford it I will have the engine changed, but until then im not really losing anything using it as it is. I too am concerned about the "porus" block, as to me, it seems unlikely at only 105k. The guy I use to do all the jobs I cant do/cant be bothered to do is well known round here, and as far as I know hasnt let anyone down (im not naming names). Il keep you all posted and informed about the situation... (never know, some stroke of luck I may find the cash and have it done soon, have to do some more begging!)
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I have heard that one of the diesel engines fitted to the CX did suffer from block porosity - Shane probably knows more aboout this.
Jiff Lemon
My Cars:

Post by Jiff Lemon »

I'd be very tempted to get a second opinion - Pourous block? Pull the other one.
Sounds more like air in the fuel system.
However if you really want to go down swapping the engines, I've a Volcane TD lump sat here.