Vegie oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

now call me thick and people often do (amoungst other things).
Getting registered with HMCE for the purpose of using oil, etc as fuel and then paying said rate of tax depending on single or dual tank, is one pain in the bum and the pocket. With the total price for saving the environment being more costly then not (even if its making the artic great for sand castles). Couldnt you "accidently" mis inform HMCE on how much oil you used? That way you are still registered if you get stopped by "frying squad" in wales or where every. Gorden brown is happy cos hes still getting some tax (admitily not as much as he probably should be!). AS long as its not truck loads of oil you are missing from your form im sure it could be done. if not being done already. (not that i personally endorse encourage or condon tax evasion). Ofcourse if you get the oil for free then whats 47p/l between friends???? but usually you have to register as a waste oil contractor or some such! Always a catch but im sure there is a way and that we will find it!!!!
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

take it from me if you get caught not paying tax on your fuel its a £500 on the spot fine or they take your car away, even if you have just experimented with a little cooking oil.[:(]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Even buying the "official" bio diesel (V100 veg oil type) isnt really that cost effective - had a quote of 75p / L for the reclaimed veg oil - tax paid. But i have to travel 40 miles to pick it up (and 40 miles back) so to make it worthwhile I would have to buy in over 100 L - a lot of oil, then where can i store it?
I suppose if you can get the oil (used) for free and make the bio up yourself, than run your care solely on it the excise of 27p would make the aggro worthwhile - otherwise i just couldnt be bothered for teh small saving.
Had a bash running mine on SVO, ran ok, but smelled too much like a chippy to be worth running the risk again. Mind you its attracted a lot of interest his thread though!
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

I experimented with 1/4 cooking oil 3/4 Diesel. It was Morrisons own label cooking oil and boy has it made a BIG differenec to performance, it flies. :mrgreen: LOADS(and I mean LOADS!) more low down - mid range torque with a bit more top end power and the engine runs smoother. I'm going to run this combination not for economics but for a fitter engine, Veg oil must have a higher Cetane number.
My car is an 1997 1.9 td Xantia, I tried the same veg oil mix in my Old Man's 1.7 TD BX with no discernable difference to performance. The higher cetane fuel must be compensated for by the electronics in the ECU where you must have to manually adjust the engine on the non ECU engines to get the benefit. :?: