Vegie oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wiggybum
My Cars:

Post by wiggybum »

Goto
www.dieselveg.com
I've covered 3000 miles in my 406 1.9td (Bosch Pump) running on pure rape oil from Lidl.
What you need to do is shell out £400 on a proper kit that allows you to run on pure diesel until the engine is hot. Then it's fine to run on the oil (46p/l).
The switch over valve has an electric heater fitted and the system comes with a fuel heater heated from the engine coolant.
Save loads (but make sure you register with Customs & Excise).
Takes a weekend to fit.
Runs sweet as a nut.
Sounds quieter too.
Tom
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Thanks Mr Sheppard, Sorry to seem thick but i'm a bit dyslexic when it comes to fractions/dividing etc just cannot do it, even clever people think I have a problem[:D][:D] What would it be if I put in 15 litres?
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Okey Dokey then............
I put 12 litres of veg oil in total into 45 litres of diesel, Started easy no problems but after about 2 minutes got to to traffic lights took it out of gear and engine was hunting quite badly, Ooh crikey thought I, how do I explain this one to wifey, carried on with journey hunting gradually went when the engine warmed up as expected. A lot less smoke when Its accelerated hard and a much quieter tickover, Chip smell isn't that bad, wasn't very happy driving through a bad crash though, traffic police everywhere directing traffic[;)]
Looking at the inline filter I fitted a while back its definately thicker in there, I take it the veg oil sinks?
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I have certainly reached veg oil pretty quickly after adding it to a tank of diesel. Although it does seem to mix with the diesel a bit, it must sink and be fed out first. It isn't the same as running totally on veg oil (easier startup) so a certain amount of mixing must occur.
Before I started to try veg oil, I mixed some up 50/50 with diesel in a container and that seemed to mix ok. I guess you just don't have the same mixing in a car's tank as you do shaking a container.
I have toyed with the idea of mixing diesel and veg oil in a jerry can before adding it to the car but to be honest, as I get through 60l a week, I'd be mixing a jerry can every other day (or so) and that's too much trouble. It's also too much trouble to keep stopping and buying veg oil so I'm back on pure diesel now.
Paranoid, I think you'll find a difference between Lidl oil and Pura rape seed oil from Tesco - I found the Tesco oil produced far less hunting.
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wiggybum</i>

Goto
www.dieselveg.com
I've covered 3000 miles in my 406 1.9td (Bosch Pump) running on pure rape oil from Lidl.
What you need to do is shell out £400 on a proper kit that allows you to run on pure diesel until the engine is hot. Then it's fine to run on the oil (46p/l).
The switch over valve has an electric heater fitted and the system comes with a fuel heater heated from the engine coolant.
Save loads (but make sure you register with Customs & Excise).
Takes a weekend to fit.
Runs sweet as a nut.
Sounds quieter too.
Tom
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
OK so how do we register with C&E? Its not obvious from their website
wiggybum
My Cars:

Post by wiggybum »

Right...to register with C&E. You need to email
carole.bowman@hmce.gsi.gov.uk
and tell her you want to register. She will send you the worst designed form I've seen called an EX103. On it,you put name address etc and post it back. Now, there are 2 rates of duty to pay.
If you're mixing oil in with your diesel, this is classed as a fuel substitute and you'll have to pay about 45p/l in tax!!! So much for the green argument.
If you have a 2 tank system and burn "pure" strraight veg oil, then the duty is only 27p/l.
You'll get a letter asking you to declare where you'll store your oil (you have to pay the duty on it first, before you can put it in the car!) Someone from the C&E may come round and pay you a visit.
Once they're satisfied, you'll get your EX103 back with a stamp saying you're a registered fuel user. Every month, you'll be sent a form to declare how much oil you'll be using etc. You carry the EX103 in the car and you must keep records for 6 years.
Does that help? This is what I did anyway
beezer

Post by beezer »

I believe there is a branch of police in Wales called the 'Frying Squad' who go around sniffing exhaust pipes. I wonder if they can distinguish between Tesco's and Lidl's?
Seems like 400 quid for the heater/exchanger gubbins and then 27p per litre in tax would mean a long time before it would pay for itself.
wiggybum
My Cars:

Post by wiggybum »

Yeah, but think of the planet man! You're quite right about the police. Word of warning, you'll be in deep trouble if you get caught unregistered. Your savings will quickly evaporate when you get a big fat fine and your car taken away.
beezer

Post by beezer »

This part of the planet stinks in high summer with all the rapeseed plantations garishly spanning the horizon. Eco friendly but not good for hay fever sufferers and dazzling too! I belive there is a species of lupin which is less bother.
AndyP
My Cars:

Post by AndyP »

Much talk of veggie oil, but what about good old home heating oil. It's currently about 25p per litre which is even cheaper. Also known as Kerosene 28 sec. Would that be any good ? I'm sure my mates old Landrover would run on it quite happily !
beezer

Post by beezer »

Your mate might end up running on porridge and be minus one Landrover if he gets nabbed.
Could always dye it blue - it will then be neither red nor yellow.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 72633&rd=1
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

"I belive there is a species of lupin which is less bother."
........... lupins ... LUPINS ???? cue updated sketch.....
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Dying red diesel blue won't help you one bit.
Aside from the red die, red diesel contains a chemical marker which can be detected even if you dye it blue. The red die can be removed quite easilly but the chemical marker is almost impossible to get rid of.
beezer

Post by beezer »

It's the diesel police!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

My sentiments exactly <i>re dying red diesel or cooking oil blue </i>- the local branch of the C&E have been known to sit patiently watching local garages who openly sell red diesel in 20L drums - making a note of your registration and then coming round to your house early one morning (WHY is it always early in the morning???) and knocking on the door and asking to dip your tank.
Same goes for heating oil, in fact i dont think heating oil classifies as a suplimentary fuel, so full duty has to be paid on this - making it pointless to put it in your tank.
I suppose the upshot is you either take a chance and dont tell customs and hope you dont get a knock... or tell customs, by which case its not really worth the hassle of the paperwork or indeed, probably doesnt work out any cheaper once you factor in 46p for oil and 47p for duty (curent Derv prices here are 84.9p)
There was a similar thing with LPG - buying in cyliners of heating / cooking propane and filling the car via an adaptor/pump as this comanded less duty than road LPG. Seemed more trouble than it was worth to me.