Vegie oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

http://www.bio-power.co.uk/agents.htm
The link above will show existing makers/dealers of V100 MWVF Modified Waste Vegetable Fat. Where you can buy large quantities of fuel in 20, 25 or 1000 Litres. This saves looking like a prat at the supermarket and also makes it legal
It is sold (round my way) at 68p/litre. This is duty and Tax paid. Make sure you get a VAT receipt to show the police or HMCE if you get stopped for smelling like a chip shop.
razzleuk

Post by razzleuk »

I've noted recently that tescos in MK and Bedford have both started stocking very large (15 litres?) metal containers of veggie oil.. This may look less suspicious. They are with the indian food in the Bedford one.
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

100 % veggie oil is bad I believe for you seals and pump. It has to be modified and heated to thin the fuel. Running 50/50 should be OK I would have thought.
PaulB
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

All this talk of veg oil and additives etc got me thinking about the heating oil/fuel (which is Kerosene I think) that I buy for my central heating. As far as I can remember the last time I ordered (about 6 months ago)500l it cost me £120. This surely can't be used to run a diesel, can it? How about a kerosene/diesel mix!!
Just got a quote online and 500l is around £150 so 0.30p a litre.
And kerosene (28sec)isn't far off diesel (C12 to C15 range)!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Heating oil is identical to diesel, but is usually coloured. If Customs & Excise catch you at it, they will put you away for a long time and confiscate your vehicle!
//NiSk
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adzbaby</i>

All this talk of veg oil and additives etc got me thinking about the heating oil/fuel . This surely can't be used to run a diesel, can it? How about a kerosene/diesel mix!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Oh yes it can, there was a Garage near Preston selling heating oil as diesel fuel for a long time before he got caught. Used to order a wagon load a week and sell it through the pumps about 5p / liter cheaper than any other garage around. He was popular with the motorists, but not the Customs boys!
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

A Kerosene diesel mix, no problem at 50/50, with very little noticeable difference in exhaust smell. Not recommended for milage under 20-30k..
Neat -- 50-100.1 with new engine or hydraulic oil.
You might experience heavy exhaust vapours with engines 3 ltrs and above.
Try a mix with veggie oil.
Red diesel is exactley the same proudut as white, but some brands of white may have additional additives. The dye is added to white at tanker loadind points.
Remember the dye in red will leave traces even on stainless steel.
R
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

i used a 1.9td for 15 mths on pure kerosene i used 1 litre of 20/50 oil to to 25l of kerea unfort for me where i bought it from was getting watched and one morn got a knock at door from customs. the strange thing was that i was nearly out of kere so put 25l of norm diesel in tank but when they dipped me the kerosene showed up so i was £500 lighter that morn or lose the car.
seemingly they use hydrochloric acid to split it down. and i also learned this that even if you buy red diesel and remove the dye so its white there is a chemical marker in which will be picked up no matter how u try to disguise it.
moralis never ever buy kerosene in your own car always get a mate with a petrol car to get the drums
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

<b>For HDI engines Citroen recommend no more than 5% biodisel is used.</b>
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Sorry to display my ignorance to all, but what is an HDI engine? Is my 98 Xantia 1.9TD?
Also suggest you buy the legal stuff V100 from one of the distributors listed on http://www.bio-power.co.uk/agents.htm. This is duty paid and at the moment is 68p/litre in Lincoln.
5% is the official govenment version of "bio" so it's not going to save the planet.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rpaco</i>

Sorry to display my ignorance to all, but what is an HDI engine? Is my 98 Xantia 1.9TD?
No, the HDi is the later, direct injection, diesel. The Xantia HDis were all 2.0 litre, and are badged "HDi" down the side instead of "Turbo D".
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by monkeyman</i>

<b>For HDI engines Citroen recommend no more than 5% biodisel is used.</b>
I think they said the same for the TD though. I've often wondered whether this is sound advice, or PSA covering themselves because of the variable quality control with biodiesel.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Right....... I have about 45 litres of proper diesel in at the moment and I have put 10 litres of Lidl, veg oil in, sorry for my ignorance but what is the ratio of this mix (80/20, 70/30 etc) Maths ain't my chosen subject if you know what I mean.[;)] I am going to up the amount when I get brave!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

10/55ths veg oil. Just under 20%.
shezads

Post by shezads »

I have tried a 50/50 mix with veg oil - runs fine. Have tried upto 90-10 mix (veg oil/diesel)- again runs ok - although engine hunts a little on idle on cold start.