Cats & Horses

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeFrog
My Cars:

Cats & Horses

Post by LeFrog »

How many horses do you think the removal of a cat will offer? Alterntiavely, what % of gain do you think you could obtain?
Jim_Reaper
My Cars:

Post by Jim_Reaper »

Roughly 1 cat = 2 or 3 horses.
However 1 dog = 6 horses, 2 cows = 1 dog (unless its a poodle) and again it all depends on the type of cat, if its a tabby, manx or ginger tom as ginger toms are worth more.[;)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

1 cat=a loss of 9% power typically and an increase in fuel consumption AND GREENHOUSE GASES of between5 and 9% Tear the damn' thing off!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My MPG improved by around 5 mpg or 10% when I decatted. Low down torque improved too.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LeFrog</i>

How many horses do you think the removal of a cat will offer? Alterntiavely, what % of gain do you think you could obtain?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If Kiwi laws are the same as Aussie ones, you'd better start selling horses, race horses, to pay the fine if you get caught.
I asked the question and was told it will cost $20,000 if caught.
Alan S[:0][:0][:0]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

twenty grand for knocking off a cat? Blimey Alan, how much do milliners out there make?
Seriously, that's the cost of a new car over here. The legislators have got you by the short hairs AND THEY ARE BLOODY WRONG!
Most of the pollution a car creates is in the manufacturing stage which is why
taxes on cars should be reduced with age, becoming free at the 20 year point. I don't suppose that it would encourage people to look after their rolling stock, but scrapping the old cars is not the answer.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

So.. how do you go about removing it and will that affect the emission test at MOT time?
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Can you not dismantle it and remove it's innards so it looks like its still there. You can always just claim that its broken MOT time.
And is that law really enforcable? When I buy a new car I dont check to see that somebody hasn't pinched parts of its exhaust.
I am always banging on about how I'm saving the planet driving my crappy old Citroens. The truth is I'm too tight to buy a new car but as you say Anders I dont want to be the cause of a whole load of pollution. Honest.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If caught, they put the car off the road; you have to either get caught in the act or admit to it, but out here the Politicians and public servants get "lobbied" by car makers and oil companies (we used to call it bribing, but lobbying makes it sound more ethical) so they can get away with murder. Laws like that are best described as "Taurus excretia" laws that are there for frighteners but rarely if ever used.
We have these on the spot car inspections where the transport department (a governing body that makes the Gestapo look like a Christian based charity) can stop you at the roadside and examine the car for faults. Particularly in my CX I used to like getting pulled over and as I stopped, drop the hydraulics so the car sat too far down for them to get under and then try not to laugh while some dumbarse tried to stick his boof head under the car, stuck his hand under & found the exhaust, jagged himself on sharp edges and all the glorious things CXs do to you when you don't know them.
In the finish, they just used to wave me past......ahh; the joys of driving a Citroen.[:D][:D]
Alan S [}:)][:p]
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

As far as I know, there are no restrictions here in NZ. I have never had an emissions test done in while living here (12 years).
405turbo

Post by 405turbo »

Your best bet is a decat pipe. Any custom exhaust place should be able to make one up. It bolts in the place of the cat and then you just whack the cat back on come MOT time.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Or you could try one of these.
http://www.rakaror.o.se/
Click on the "bomb" to the right flashy end pipes. They show it fitted instead of a cat (and I don't think many MOT stations in the UK could identify it!) it gives up to 30% more power on the R19 it was fitted to. Unfortunately it's all in Swedish, but there are several references to rolling-road tests that justify their claims.
//NiSk
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

So I can expect to get 2 or 3 horses if I kill the cat?
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Can you not dismantle it and remove it's innards so it looks like its still there. You can always just claim that its broken MOT time.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But will that not affect the readings when they stick the breathalyzer up its tailpipe?
Tom
Absolutely right - we are given sermons from Mr Blur and his mates about recycling everything except cars.
Don't cats change CO into CO2, the stuff that makes holes in the ozone layer?
Originally they did a 25 year tax exemption to appease the classic car lobby, after that halfwit Mawhinney proposed taxing cars that were off the road (what price motor museums, dismantled cars, etc? pah!)
Much trumpeting was done, then in the next budget they surreptitiously changed it to a fixed date of 1/1/73, and didn't tell anyone [:(] I only found out when I put '25 year exempt' on a V10 for the class, and the Post Office changed it to 'Historic Vehicle'
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

And the palladium and Rhodium used in cats are hard won from the ground as well as being highly poisonous. How many cars have been rusted out by the acid rain that forms when the H2S from the cat combines readily with rain? Cats are a cure that is worse than the disease, foisted upon us by Governments panicked into doing Something, anything, by environmental lobby groups who think that the red flag act should be reimposed.