What to buy now

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Migrane Scenic?. I reckon that the Passat is a good car but VW service is dear and poor.
Merc service is an oxymoron and the bits are dear for a stamped tin car.
Kias and Hyundias are ok but have no character.
Berlingo-oops, sorry!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Easy!
Just decided to bid on a K reg BX 17TD on Ebay.
Doctor, Nurse! Help!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Good call Jon. Lots of fun to be had there. You might even get change from your budget.
In terms of performance and spec, they don't fall far behind modern cars.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Easy!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Last generation BX is a good option.
Of course that the 1.7D is much more noisy than a HDi...
PS: Thrust me, VW Passat is not a good car.
Jim_Reaper
My Cars:

Post by Jim_Reaper »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thunderbird</i>

[quote]<i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

PS: Thrust me, VW Passat is not a good car.
[;)] Go on then!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Easy!
Doctor, Nurse! Help!
I am a psychiatric nurse Jon and i can safely say you are without any shadow of a doubt totally and uptterly sane.... Its just the rest of the population who dont drive Hydro Cits that need several walls of rubber wallpaper.......[:D][:D][:D]
Incidentally a little known fact is that Bubble Wrap was originally devised by a wallpaper amufacturer in the 1960's as an attempt to invent plastic wallpaper....
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Oh bum my typing! Manufacturer
Jon, what exactly did happen with the Xsara?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">plastic wallpaper<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It's already here!-Isn't this what my BX's bonnet and hatch is made of???
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">plastic wallpaper<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It's already here!-Isn't this what my BX's bonnet and hatch is made of???
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW
I think this BX is even more plastic (padding) than that!
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

What happened to your Silver Xsara Jon?
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

£5000 dosh to spend...
For the frenchie option you can buy a 206 D Turbo HDi90. on a 2000 plate or a Renault Megane dCI, both with about 50k on the clock.
If you want something low milage and diesel for under £5k, then a Hyundai Accent will come in for 5, and be under 20k on the clock. Not sure what its like to drive, but I have driven a Getz with the same 3 cyclinder 1.5TD engine and its a little cracker, much better than Citroen C2 for the same money.
If you like the euro flava, then £5k will buy you a low milage 2yr old Fiat Stilo 1.2 16V will all the toys, ok its not diesel but will give a good fuel economy and push out about 85bhp, not so far off HDi90. If you can afford £6k, then you get the stonking 115bhp JTD Turbo diesel, and they go like a rocket, one year old and 10k on the clock. Bargain!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi folks
For those that didn't know, the Silver Xsara got hit by a lorry on the M6 then span across the motorway into the armaco, its pretty trashed.
Some interesting suggestions here!
I'm wondering whether just to buy a BX TD or a ZX then pay off my credit card and do some more to the house with my "budget" [:D]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

***OUCH***
look on the bright side Jon, you still have all your limbs and apendages, and they all still work (which had it been something like the metro i saw a few months back may no have been the case....)
I regret to inform the forum of something very silly....
I have bid on a Ford Fiasco Diesel on eBay to replace my ZX.
Still on the bright side, i may get outbid!
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Well Jon, the less you outlay on a good car the less you will lose. But if I was driving 800 miles a week I would want something that as well as being reliable was a joy to drive and safe in a crash. Your accident shows that it can happen to anyone, no matter how skilled and careful you are. Maybe a C5 Hdi Wagon - the wagons look far better than the sedans in my opinion. Don't know the prices for these in U.K. though. A friend of mine has one in a beautiful deep metallic red and he just loves it as he commutes about 1000 kilometers a week. He bought it nearly new and says he has had no trouble with it.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

I guess if you don't want a **real** Citroen (such as a CX, GS, DS) then the BX is all your left with.
What's the big deal, your only doing 800miles a week. My wife ran up nearly 100,000kms in just over 2years on a ****ty old BX19tri I bought for next to nothing.
It costs bugger all to run, consistantly returns over 40mpg and has a crappy version of *proper* suspension under it. If only we got 'em in deisel out here I'd get her one of them ... She really does thrash the living sh!t out of the poor old BX (though I gotta admit I tend to hammer the sh!t out of it too --it just compels your to[}:)][}:)] ).
Looks like the old CX will have to keep me going for a lot of years now 'cos Citroen still haven't made another decent hydaulic car, the BX has crappy struts and sh!tful seats and pedals (bloody painful for any distance), the Xantia has crappy struts and god awful brakes --though the hyperactive suspension isn't bad. Steering is bloody awful, follows cambers and must be steered like any other car.
The C5 doesn't even have central hydaulics[:0][:(!] Yep, the old CX's and DS's will have to keep running for a lot of years yet[:D]
seeya,
Shane L.