rear lights on xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nimue
My Cars:

rear lights on xantia

Post by nimue »

hi, last night my rear lights went outon both sides,today found it was two fuses,replaced them,fine,working. Went out in car and lights were out again. anyone got any ideas on why they both are going out together ie; blowing fuse not bulbs.....as I hate trying to find electical faults. Is there something obvoius which will cause this problem?
thanks
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

Has it got, or has it had a towbar fitted? If so, then suspect any wiring to a trailer socket, or that someone has got at the wiring around the rear lights.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Have you changed a brake light bulb recently, and either fitted a single filament where it should be double or vice-versa? Otherwise it sounds liek you have a dead short to earth somewhere in the wiring that is melting the fuses.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Sounds weird. If lights worked without blowing fuses when you replaced them first time, the fault is likely to be movement-related or to do with indicators or brakes. Are front sidelights affected too? My book lists two fuses for sidelights in diagonally-opposite pairs. Are brakelights and indicators working OK?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Have ignition turned on, engine off, handbrakes on.
Then check all lights on the rear :
* parking or main (dipped) lights on
* adjust drivers seat, clamp piece of wood on brake pedal for brake lights
* indicators (use the hazards switch, then ALL indicators MUST come on)
* gear stick in reverse for reversing lights
* rear fogs
Now try mess around with the carpetting or the rear seats (cars LH side) to test if the rear feed multi-cable under the carpets is messing around with a shortcircuit.