xantia alarm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

james306
My Cars:

xantia alarm

Post by james306 »

My alarm always goes off 3 times after I lock the car and then settles.What is the remedy?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Which model and age please? R
james306
My Cars:

Post by james306 »

Xantia 1.9 TD Desire 1997
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

James, unless someone comes in with a specific issue, your car is just about old enough to start getting problems with the sensors in the doors. There is a self 'disarming' capability with the alarm to stop nuisance triggering which is why it stops after three.
The door units are Citroen only sadly but they are reasonable and bought in pairs.
Just to test them, disarm them with the switch on the dashboard and then set the alarm. If it does not trigger then the sensors are shot. Hope this helps, Robin
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Mine does the same,more so when it rains.I press the switch on the dash to dissable the interior sensors,untill the alarm light lights up(about 2 secs)then set the alarm & deadlocks as normal.It doesn`t go off then.A Citroen dealer told me this was because of water getting into the front passenger foot well.Under the carpet is a load of wires & connectors.I spray these with WD40 when the alarm plays up,more so after rainy spells,that cures it again.This may be the problem.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Also the usual stuff like close the face-level vents.
james306
My Cars:

Post by james306 »

ROBIN .TRIED YOUR THEORY AND BINGO NO MORE AWFUL ALARM GOING OFF THREE TIMES.PHONED LOCAL CITROEN AND QOUTED AROUND £25 FOR SET OF DOOR SENSORS.DONT KNOW IF IT IS REALLY WORTH DOING BUT I AM THANKFUL FOR YOUR HELP.
P.S.
SO ARE THE NEIGHBOURS!
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

James, it is worth it even if only to avoid any problems with the insurers. They assume the alarm will be fully operational and could get a bit sensitive if you have 'knowingly' left it faulty.
I have just had a fault on my second car and have been given thirty days to rectify it or the theft part of my insurance is void!
Regards, R.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

James: It's an easy replacement and was, for me, worth it to avoid having to keep remembering to push the dash button first and to avoid having to rush outside when herself forgot to.
PJ
james306
My Cars:

Post by james306 »

How do you replace them exactly?[:)]
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

James, if you take care it is possible to ease the door interior back from the corner near the mirror to expose the connections. The door interiors or cards are held in place by clips so use a flat tool like a 1 inch wide scraper to ease the clips away from the door. The panel with the sensors in is also just clipped in place and can be eased away. The new sensors will show you how the connections are made. Colour coded for right and left. Good luck. R.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

James: I did mine recently. No big deal - but it helps to be gentle with the plastic to avoid breaking off the bits that plug into the door. There is a connector not far away so you don't have to remove a lot.