Can of worms... Which Cit to replace my ZX with?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Can of worms... Which Cit to replace my ZX with?

Post by martyhopkirk »

I realise that this is going to be a very very speculative subject... but my reliable but long in the tooth ZX is up for replacement. I will probably eBay it off.
There is nothing wrong with the ZX, asside the usual bits (dented door and non working heater control lamps). But i have become increasingly concerned about the abaility to stand up for itself in a crash. Not for my benefit, but my sons who are frequent passengers with me at the weekends.
So what i want has got to be
a) Fairly reliable - nothing too major betwixt servicing going bang or falling off
b) Fairly economical - I do nearly 100 miles a day Monday to Friday.
c) Good in an accident.
d) About the £1500 mark (cos im as poor as a church mouse!)
My thoughts are a later (post 98) Xantia, or a Xsara. The Xantia seems to be winning on brownie points in terms of overall cost (being available some what cheaper than a similar aged Xsara)
Im pleased overall with my existing Xantia (2.0 HDi) but the wife wont allow me to kill it using it for work - plus with the job i do there is a big risk of it being nicked or damaged by irate patients as has happened to the last 2 cars..... I doubt i can run to a HDi engined Cit, so possibly a 1.9 diesel? or what about the petrol engined variants? i was always surprised and pleased at the MPG my Laguna gave me (42mpg) on a 1.8 engine.
Thoughts on this anyone?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Since you already have one Xantia, you know all the faults that are likely to crop up, lots of ++++ points.
The Xanita also came with the TD12 engine (2.1 liter 12 valve) - the best non-direct (car)diesel ever made . . .
//NiSk
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

you'd get a decent Xantia for that price, but any Xsara for £1500 will probably be rough as a tramps arse!