Xantia Activa

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Sorry, sorry!
No offence intended, was only said in jest, I personally am indifferent to the Allegro!
Especially the one with the square "wheel"
:-)
How about a Lada Riva then, or will that offend someone else [;)]
Braking distances - very good point Richard, as well as the ability to 'more safely join fast moving traffic' & 'more safely overtake slower traffic/tractors etc' if you have a bit of acceleration under the bonnet.
Blimey!
I didn't know they gave the Allegro gullwing doors.... [:D]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

If you think Citroen owners are weird, try Allegro Club International, a very good source of spares though.
Anyway, Bernieeccles, is your mind now made up?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Thunderbird: Sportscars are uncomfortable. No, not if they are correctly designed. Renault Alpine V6 or first generation Elan. Each had compliant suspension and good ride quality (and each could probably out-corner, ooh, even an Activa:-))
I'll have to take your word for it about spaceship handling, though as my only experience of space travel was as a passenger. John Glenn told me that it was difficult to control most space vehicles and that they were uncomfortable.
bernieeccles
My Cars:

Post by bernieeccles »

Well,my question certainly seemed to provoke some comments,but not really about my question.
I suppose it boils down to the question of reliability.Is the hydraulic suspension fundamentally OK and basically reliable.I used to run a BX GTI a few years ago and over a period of 5 years,I changed the front spheres and one fluid return thingy that straps on the front suspension leg,so not many problems there !
However,I see the Activa as substantially more complicated with the addition of the electronics.
I remember reading an article in "CAR" magazine bu LJK Setright,when the Activa was first introduced and he thought it was a revelation !
It just seems a very tempting car to buy,given the low purchase price that many are for sale for and the fact that it is such a technically interesting car.So to sum up,do I have a sporting chance if I buy one or is it more likely to be a bottomless pit for my hard earned ??
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I had a Lada once. Wasn't good for much but I was young it made a good passion wagon.
I agree the Activa would be nice to have as a collectors piece, But i don't think I would want all that extra complication for a daily car. HA2 is pretty good really, certainly plenty good enough for normal driving on normal roads. If you want to use the road as your personal race track though then there are probably better cars to use than an Activa. It's too heavy and not really quick enough for serious hooliganism.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

If it tickles your fancy, then go for it.
Life is a ride, make it as fascinating as possible.
Blimey[:D][:D]did I say all that
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

I make Stempy words mine:
- As a stylish daily car, forget it! A CX GTi Turbo would give less trouble.
- For racing (either on public or private roads), a Xsara 2.0 16V would be better, since it corners faster than the Xantia.
- If you want a collector's car for exposition and care, than you must go for a SM or a DS!
So, in conclusion, the answer to your question is: No, Xantia Activa is not a good option.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Bernie,
I would go for it, assuming it's in good condition when you get it.
Hydraulics are designed to be very reliable and simple, lets face it, cranes use them, diggers use them etc...
With the usual simple maintenance checks and cleaning / lubrication, I can't see why it would be any less reliable than a hydractive xantia ( ie. the thing most likely to give problems is the ECU when a transistor pops ).
I just wish they did one in diesel form.
Am I right in thinking that run-out xantias had the activa front end, or did this not come to the uk ?
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

And I thought the Humber Hawk was the ultimate passion wagon [8D]