Springs or hydropneumatic suspension?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yeah, all that messing around with spring compressors and siezed damper bolts. The danger of strong springs, too. I'd rather be working on a Citroen!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Same here! 10 minutes with the big chain wrench is a lot better than an hour or so's wrestling with spring compressors and rusty nuts (the cars, that is,) under the wheelarch!!!
When its working properly, hydraulic suspension is the cheapest to maintain and most reliable that there is- thats why its used on army tanks!
B.L. Hydragas was even lower maintenance- in many years of driving BL motors, I only had to depressurise once to change the knuckle joints (ex BL owners will know...),the spheres never, ever, went flat, and it was basically a fit and forget system which is only available now, unfortunately, in a bastardised form with no front rear interconection. It rode at least as well as the Citroen system, but sadly was never self levelling or anti-dive.
Give me hydraulics anytime!!![8D][8D]
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Springs traditional suspension has longer maintenance intervals.
It is also cheaper (in case you're not doing it yourself).
You can also apply improved suspensions in you car (height adjustment, more comfortable, more sporty, etc.). On a Citroen hydropneumatic you're limited to the factory suspension, except trying sligh different spheres for more comfort/stiffness.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

At work today a perfect example came up...........VW passat T reg requires new shocks, dealer price £550 fitted (fronts only)[:0] New spheres on xantia all four corners £80.......Bargain