New driver.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jonathan_dyane</i>
I crashed my Dyane into a Rover once (the sort that is almost identical to a Honda Ballade?). The Rover was wrecked, and the Dyane only sustained minimal damage.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So you were the b*[B)][xx(][?]r[:o)] who took my nearside door pillar out in that French car park twelve years ago? They had to use a hydraulic ram afterwards to get my doors to shut properly. (And as for the doors.....oooh dear......)[:(]
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
crooser

Post by crooser »

in an accident i know which size car i would rather sit in.statistics don't even come in to it.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Not guilty Mike, the Rover I hit was travelling at the time, and I ran into the back of it...
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Itdontgo: If we are busily killing the planet in our BXs, we will just have to go back to the Red Flag Act or caves. The undisputed fact of the matter is that a BX is safer than an AX and because it is more durable, it costs the planet less due to its longer service life.
As for the bleating of "All cars should have small engines," A good big 'un will always outlast a good little 'un, consuming less fuel if properly geared to its load and lasting longer.
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Not guilty Mike, the Rover I hit was travelling at the time, and I ran into the back of it...
I know, I wuz teasing. In future, always remember to drive behind faster cars that can get out of your way quicker [:D]
Speaking of which, I had a near one myself on the M4 yesterday. Steaming up the inside lane at 75-odd, just after dark, and I sooooooo nearly rear-ended an old Skoda doing 45 mph without lights. No room to swerve out because of passing traffic, so there was nothing for it but to brake and pray. Fortunately I'm still here, and so are they. (In fact they may even have reached Swindon by now.)
So come on, then, Is anybody going to make a safety case for driving old Skodas?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

At least they have the engine between the passengers and the probable direction of impact!
And if they have twin exhausts you can pick 'em up and wheelbarrow 'em to the nearest service station . . .
any more . . . ??
//NiSk
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">As for the claptrap about cars killing the planet, it's rubbish. We produce more CO2 from central heating systems in the UK. And your gas fired boiler doesn't have the benefit of a catalytic converter (come to think of it, nor did most AXs).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Agreed, Homer.
Not to mention jet engines, and catastrophic converters. Both chuck out CO2. Making cars is not very environmentally friendly, either - we should recycle more of them. All the c**p about old cars having more noxious emissions has to be examined in more detail as well - generally they are well maintained.
The engine / transmission lump in a 2CV is designed to slide under the bulkhead on impact.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Gee's
all these junky pretend little cars your trying to get her [:D]
Buy her a nice CX2500 DTR turbo II and be done with it. Good fuel economy, fastest diesel car in the world (at the time), cheap to buy, doesn't weight much more than a Xantia, crashes well.
Perfect learners car, not very big, torqey, not hugely fast, crashes well, comfortable, will tow as many pretend little Cit's with no real suspension under 'em to the crushers as you desire, would be very cheap to insure [:D] [}:)] [:o)]
Go on, get her a **real** car [:p]
seeya,
Shane L.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

You wait until you open the KA bonnet!
Its as much a time machine as a 2CV[:)]!
Beam an Anglia forward in time, remove the carb, fit injection, a couple of computers, it turns into a KA!!!-it has one thing in common with the old Skoda (Estelle or Favorit) as well as being dead easy to service-pushrods!- I believe its the last Western production car to still have them, unless, of course, someone knows differently...
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yep. Simple enough to service myself which I did for the 45,000 completely reliable miles. I agree that it is an old tech engine but The Ka has a group2 insurance rating and Funky looks. Annabel has set her heart on one and will have one. As it is the best small car currently available on price, fun to drive and economy of operation, it makes a good choice. I thoroughly enjoyed mine.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Yes, don't get me wrong-I like old tech- it's easy to fix!!! I went through 3 Skoda's,- one Estelle, one Rapide Coupe, and one Favorit- all totally out of the ark technically, but excellent cheapo motoring all the same, and the Favorit had the best heater and headlights of any car I have ever had, great in the winter- the only problem was that bits of trim just kept falling off!!!.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

You shouldn't worry about trim falling off a Skoda - its quite normal - its when larger things fall off, like steering wheels, handbrakes, doors, (need I go on . . .)
I had a Rapid as an "anti-car" a while - until it anti-ed itself to death - on a parking space.
//NiSk
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Thanks for that. I feel that insurance costs will be the issue so 1.9 litre engines or GT badges will not be appropriate. If they were, she would be given a BX TGD Turbo that just happens to be hanging around... (And if the little wretch DARED to call that a heap...)
Our ZX (which i nail every day to the tune of 50 odd miles) is the 1.9TD, now bearing in mind its registered and insured in my wifes name, this being her first car for many years in her name so zero NCD, and last year we had a total loss just before renewal time when one of my patients nicked my car and went joyriding (g*t).... Insurance (inc buisness use) is a reasonable £460 TPO. The car cost £600 and another £300 for service and MOT. Its alarming to drive in that its quick and the brakes feel marginal despite being thoroughly overhauled and passing MOT - mind you pulls up well enough.
Buy a ZX 1.9 D and save ££££££££££££ in the long run!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Agree, Marty - great unassuming cars. Mine has always had a lot of brake pedal travel, but stops fine. A friend who is a Cit mechanic reckons the brakes are better than most.
Have they finally stopped chucking spears, then? [}:)][:D]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Doh!!! Should be TPFT not TPO insurance (thats me bike)!
Nope, they are still chucking spears!