"RP" numbers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

"RP" numbers

Post by np »

I`ve often been told when ordering parts that i need the RP number for my Xantia.I`ve looked under the bonnet where i`ve been told, but cant find it.
Can anyone throw any light on this for me please.Thanks...
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I would gues that what you call "RP" number we may call "VIN" (Vehicle Identification Number) which in the old venacular was called the "Chassis Number" and is usually stamped on the top of the mudguard in the channel where the return of the bonnet sits and usually on a RHD car on the passengers side.
It seems all Governments employ little men in pin-striped suits wearing rimless glasses to sit in offices all day to think up intials to conserve words (possibly employed by the Dept of Conservation) they are probably known as Acting Officer of word conservation and intitialising useless phrases (or an AOOWCAIUP) His job will be to report to the OICOUO (or Officer in charge of Useless occupations) who will then report to the Deputy Director of information for instigating Useless phrases (DDoIfIUP) who in turn will answer to the CEO on the results of the UITCW (Useless Information to Conserve words) Convention that was held in the Bahamas last spring the results of which proved conclusively that all this stuff is a PItA (or Pain I the A***)
Life was so much simpler when all we had was engine & chassis numbers and they didn't have to find ways to emply unemployable people to make the statistics look good, so after all that, my guess is the VIN or Chassis number. There are ORGA numbers but I doubte they will tell you what's in the car only exactle when it was made.
Alan S [:D][:D][:p]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The RP number is not the chassis number but a four digit number relating to when the car was built. On your Xantia you will find it as a 'painted stamp' on the bulkhead just behind the O/S/F sphere, also found there is the three letter paint code.
stephen burch
My Cars:

Post by stephen burch »

Doesn't RP stand for replacement part?
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

RP = Replacemnet part
As long as nobodys painted over them in the past, its a fairly good system.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

The RP number is not the chassis number but a four digit number relating to when the car was built. On your Xantia you will find it as a 'painted stamp' on the bulkhead just behind the O/S/F sphere, also found there is the three letter paint code.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So then it's the "ORGA" number?
Why would a parts dealer need that, as spare parts changes are nomally based on serial number as the defining point when a part was changed with really no definite association with the day it was built?
I'm not saying you're wrong but it seems a strange way of doing it particularly when you consider how many cars go down an assembly line every day.
Alan S
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

I have to order my spares with the VIN number, The RP number & the Paint code have been painted over on my car through a previous repair.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I`ve found it,where Richard said.
Painted numbers,
7147 (TOP)
00000000000(loads of stamped small nos)MIDDLE)
07 ERYMR (BOTTOM)
Out of interest,would the `07 ERYMR` be the paint code?
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

http://www.cats-citroen.net/index.html
Your car was born on june 3 1996 !!!!!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

1st registerd Nov 97.Did you get that date from the site?Having trouble with it.The link is ok,but the site is telling me to try again later.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

What did Neil's car do in its first 18 months? Mine has 4 months between build and registration but 18 months seems extreem.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I wonder if it's because you guys work on this "H (or whatever) registered" system where you use a letter to designate the year of registration rather than as we do here, a compliance plate date plus engine & VIN numbers.
I know with Jap cars, if you were to give them a DOM (Date of manufacture) a few years ago, there could be as many as 3 differences between a car assembled in the morning to one done at 5 O'Clock which is why I question the logic of using the date to determine compatible parts.
Perhaps the Froggies are more oirganised than the Japs??[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Alan S [:o)]
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

Heres a handy link, gives a full description of the numbers and a handy calculator that works out when you car was built.
http://www.citroen.mb.ca/organr.html
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The letters ERYMR would be the paint code, normally its just the first three letters which matter.
The RP number system was used to order parts from dealers up until a couple of years ago when a centralised computer system was introduced.
Basically the RP number identified a particular batch of vehicles produced, giving a relatively simple system to order spare parts.
With the centralised system, the VIN number (Vehicle identification number/chassis) identifies each particular vehicle to its last nut and bolt, including extras fitted at the factory leaving no room for error when ordering parts (in theory!).
However, now try and order a part for you car which wasn't fitted to it at the factory, such as when putting in leather electric seats and you need a switch/motor for them. The dealer now requires the VIN number from the donor vehicle because the old method of searching on say Xantia which would bring up all options available when new, no longer appears to be avaiable. Progress..........
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

All car manufacturers will "bleed in" the introduction of a new model year (i.e. model year 05 for 2005 now) starting around June-time (maybe only a few cars a day), going fully on stream around September/October time. To buy a 2004-model car in late 2004, then the car could be over 12 months old, although some cars can sit in fields/parking lots/rectification bays (in the factory) for another 3-4 months on top of that...