Snapped conrod?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jools

Post by jools »

Thanks for that.
I will look for a low mileage engine and one with some history, although a couple of brakers told me that this problem occurs on all the xud9te engines, but more so with the dhy cars, as they are not as strong as the older d8a. One even said they would not sell a high mileage dhy engine. (although breakers are bias as they only deal with people with problems, you would not approach them for a new engine unless your old one was beyond repair)
Would it be worth flushing the engine?? I have never done this before and heard varying reports of success, maybe this would help to clear the oilways.
I know what you mean about black diesel oil, I look have to inspect the tractors at work and even after an oil change the oil goes black very quickly.
Thanks for the help people!
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Yes, these engine have had isolated incidents of throwing con rods, but the 97 and 98 dhy ones seem to throw more than their fair share.I doubt we will ever know the truth as peugeot would never admit to a problem.
Breakers might have a biased view of certain cars i agree. If you do get a s/hand engine try to get one with as much history as possible.I would prefer a higher milage diesel with full history than a low milage one with missing history.Thats how important oil changes are on a turbo diesel as quite rightly mentioned above, the turbo will not last long with bad oil and they are not cheap.
As regards flushing, i don't personally - as i believe there is evidence that the flushing agent can dislodge lumps of crud that have been happily sitting in the engine for ages which then travels around the oil gallerys and blocks a thinner, but crucial oilway. This can result in an engine blowing up.What i would advise you to do is change the oil and filter as usual and then simply repeat in a few days or about 500 miles. This will have a similar effect to flushing by using the detergents which are in modern oils, but much more gently and over a period of time, so less likely to dislodge a big piece of crud. Use a good quality semi synthetic for maximum effect and this should result in a reasonably clean engine.( you could even do it twice to be extra thorough)
Hope this helps
jools

Post by jools »

The engine that the dealers fitter can supply has done 54k but no history and may have been neglected so I will try and find an engine myself with history
Thought there were down sides for engine flushes, but pople sware by them. I guess if you flush every time you change from day one then there are less problems but like you say there is no replacement for regular oil changes. I have done a second oil change a short time after as well and am surprised by the crud in the oil, and thats spinning around the engine.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Yes, thats the problem with these s/hand breakers lumps, they often come with no history and alot of the time are more trouble than they are worth.not all bad tho.I think you are right to avoid this one however, 54k isn't alot but as you say it could well have been abused.
People do swear by flushes, but i find that by changing oil frequently from day one, the need to flush is removed as crud will not build up in an engine serviced regularly.
Good luck finding a suitable engine - and don't let this put you off peugeots or citroens ( they are the same cars effectively)They are great cars when looked after.
jools

Post by jools »

I must admit I still like peugeots/citroen, I have ever car I have owned bay my first car and a short term one has been from them, so that is seven cars.
The love of peugeot will continue as I also have a S2 106 rallye with 50k. You will laugh at this. I bought it last year for £1500 from someone in london that bought it from a balif auction. It had no service history, nine owners and slight accident damage that was bodged. I am building it up as a hill climb/sprint car to run modified production, but I am building the shell to grp a rally regs and the engine to pug sport france kitcar spec engine. Trying to keep the pug theme
All the damage is repaired and I am slowly getting round to building the engine. I have never done enything like this before.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Nine owners! crikey, no wonder it had no history! That sounds like a great little project you have got going there though.I like the 106 rallye and it should be a fun car to drive when you are finished.Glad to hear you have kept the pug feel to the car.
Let us know how it turns out with the 306
woody-som

Post by woody-som »

when I enquired about this conrod problem, on another thread here, it was agreed that the problem only affected certain cars, and if it had reached the 100K mark, then it wouldn't in all probability chuck the rod through the side.
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

ok, in this past year an a half i have personaly changed 4 blown engines, two have been pug 306s one is a 406 and the latest was a xsara, all were on the S registation with above 100k on the clock. the xsasra had full history,the book was stamped every 6000 miles then one day BANG...conrod through the front.one new(well second hand)engine from a write off R reg 306 and its fine.
the 406 had as i recall just over 260,000 miles before it popped its clogges,it took out the starter which in turn took a large chunk of the gearbox.lucky we had a xantia in the corner then.
its strange how they all broke on the motorway.
jools

Post by jools »

Mine broke on a duel carriage way doing about 40 max
jools

Post by jools »

The car was picked up today.
I am going to have to pay for it myself as the warrenty company are messing me qround. Phoned them up to start the claim and they said they would call back, they did not phoned them again, they said the same thing, an assessor would call back, that was monday. Not heard anything since.
They did say the car was a high mileage one and they may not pay out, and any claim would have to be dealt through an approaved garage. An approaved garage would charge upwards of £1250+ for the work, so what happens if the warrenty company does not pay out, I get stuck with the whole bill?? (only got £500 cover anyway), also the car will not be fixed for at least a couple of weeks.
I have managed to find a garage who will supply and fit an engine for £750 (a favour for the garage I bought the car from), so I am going for this. Would rather know I am paying £750 for the work than a lot lot more, plus the car will be fixed by monday.
More hastle yet again!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Jools,
I would have a word with your local trading Standards office. The recent Sale of Goods Act now means that if a car sold by a trader develops a fault within 6 months of purchase the fault was deemed to be present at the time of sale - and it is the garage's responsibilty to fix it. Worth pursuing in your case probably - even if you have to go to the small claims court!
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Take a look in exchange and mart, there are often lots of recon engine supplier's advertised. Another option is to look at other cars with the XUD9 engine, including Fiat people carrier and vans, nearly every Citroen, (funny enough), you will have to bear in mind the fuel system, e.g. CAV or Bosch with your current fittings, and for some reason Citroen and Peugeot although having the same engine list different BHP a lot of the time.