Help Please and Quick

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jazz2001
My Cars:

Help Please and Quick

Post by Jazz2001 »

Hi All, im in the middle of changing my head gasket and have got everything off apart from the head itself, ie. Timing belt, Auxillery Belt. Just before removin the head i had to remove the Exhaust manifold which is fine but the only problem is the studs that are attached to the head have to come out as well before it can be lifted how the hell do i get these studs out??
Jazz
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

You can buy a stud extracter or you can screw 2 nuts together and tighten them up about midway on the thread. Then put a spanner on the first nut you put on and unwind the stud. Or if you are going to replace the studs try a pair of mole grips-it will knacker the threads but should get them out.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If you mean that in the process of screwing the nuts off the manifold, the actual studs that they screw onto also came out, what's the problem? Just screw them back in like they were bolts.
If you want to get the nuts off the studs, then soak the lot in kerosene overnight and as has been suggested, hold them in mole grips or a vice and then unscrew them or alternatively, heat them with a blowtorch and then get the nuts off that way.
Alan S
Jazz2001
My Cars:

Post by Jazz2001 »

Its all done now. I actually meant that i needed to take the studs out. Thanxs for the tip of the two nuts together i used it.
Jazz