Urgent help needed with XM ignition!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dan1w

Urgent help needed with XM ignition!

Post by dan1w »

I bought my first XM a couple of weeks ago and had to fiddle with bare wires to try and get my radio working, at one point I must have connected a wrong wire and smoke came out of the radio compartment, afterwards the radio still worked, but when I went to start the car I turned the key and.....nothing.
The instrument panel died, the computer display turned off and there was no noise at all from the engine. Obviously I'm not great with electrics, so if anyone could give me advice on where to start looking for possible solutions I'd greatly appreciate it.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Have you checked all the fuses??Check all fuses in the car & under the bonnet.That would be my 1st port of call.
dan1w

Post by dan1w »

Checked all the fuses both in the car and auxillary under the bonnet.
dan1w

Post by dan1w »

Just a bit more info on this. The car is a '91 XM 2.0 Prestige.
When I turn the key to the second position all instrument lights come on, the headlights work and all interior electrics. When I turn the key to start the car all the instrument lights go out with the exception of the sports suspension and the low fuel warning, which lights up even though it was off in the first position.
When I installed the radio, I noticed that I could switch it on even with the key out of the ignition, is this normal on an XM? As in my previous cars the ignition has had to be on. If I wired up the radio incorrectly could I have damaged a component or burnt out some wires?
Please post if you have any suggestions since I don't particularly want to get the tube to work on Monday!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

From your description, you've either blown a fuse (or two) - check under the little plastic flap, almost totally hidden down by your front seat passengers shins (there are several rows of fuses there) or under the bonnet in a box in front of the battery (I think, in your model).
or
you've damaged the ignition switch itself or the wiring to it - in which case you are going to have to learn how to read a circuit diagram fast!
//NiSk