In Line filter on a diesel?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

In Line filter on a diesel?

Post by paranoid »

IS it ok to put an in-line filter after the fuel primer pump on a xud engine (between primer and main fuel filter) used these for years on petrol engines as an early warning about cruddy fuel.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

How about taking the standard filter out of it's container once in a while? It is included in the service schedule, you know! (and you can check for water at the same time!)
//NiSk
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paranoid</i>

IS it ok to put an in-line filter after the fuel primer pump on a xud engine
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Why would you need to?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Theres already a nice filter there, get familiar with it, you can even see crud in the bottom and drain it off!
Stewart
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Oil/filter changed every 3000 miles, Fuel filter changed every 6000miles.(yes I am anal about servicing)
It only takes one full tank of dodgy diesel to completly knacker the filter reducing its effectivness by at least 50% FACT, seen it happen a few times when I was on the spanners, a quick glance at a in-line filter can show up nastys before they get expensive!!! Sod it i'm putting one on anyway!![:D]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paranoid</i>

Sod it i'm putting one on anyway!![:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Two more places to get an air leak!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Sadly i'm a bit obsessive about under the bonnet and i'm constantly looking for something going wrong (hence the username).
Plus I can always take it off!!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have a nice one on my boat made by Racor, a clear bowl with a filter in the middle, theres probably room on the inner wing somewhere.
Stewart
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I've seen an Audi fuel filter. Sounds like the one oilyspanner mentions. £8.50 at Ha***rds and seems quite heavy duty made by champion. Could be an easy fixing to the inner wing area. Those cheap petrol filters would clogg up too fast with diesel wouldn't they? I use them as air filters to the map sensor on my 1.6 Xsara VTR works fine for that.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Well at least if it's see-through plastic, you'll be able to see the air bubbles you're letting in!
//NiSk
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Man in the know told me this afternoon that there very good at showing if theres condensation in fuel, it mists up when the engines hot, when the engines ticking over there is only a trickle runnning through it.
Only cost a fiver, and a couple of jubilee clips, worse comes to worst I'll put a new hose in, looks good so far..
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Just out of interest how did this go?? ANd what inline filter did u use?? Been thinking aobut doing something similar to mine for a while now, had to change the fuel filter twice in 6month /4000ish miles
cheers si
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Fitted the filter on saturday, have done 100 miles since with no problems, had to get filter from halfords in the end, Fuel filter part number 201 (black box green writing) + 2 hose clips, cut the fuel hose above Hyd pump took about a minute to fit, they do a bigger filter which is the next box along (or the next one to that!!)
Put one on purely to see if any crap was in the fuel ( I have had problems in the past ) before it got to the main fuel filter. I change the fuel filter every 6000 miles regardless.
Previous experience on petrol cars and bikes shows that any nastys stick out like a sore thumb!!!!
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

The problem with these plastic or any inline filters you fit in the line before the main filter, is that they will clog up alot quicker as they have a smaller filter area, hence fuel delivery problems etc.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Thats what i'm waiting for!! I have hose in boot just in case,[:D]