ZX sunroof missaligned?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

ZX sunroof missaligned?

Post by James.UK »

Hi All. The sunroof on the ZX Aura seems to have become very slightly missaligned somehow.[V] When closed there is about an 8th of an inch gap at the front on the passenger side, and the roof doesnt go right down flush with the rooftop on that side at the rear, it is as if the roof has been forced back slightly on that side. Though the car has not been damaged in any way.
The roof has worked ok untill recently, when it stopped sliding back. The tilt is still ok. Access is very limited as you can imagine. [V]
I realise that the roof cant slide because it doesn't clear at the back and therefore cant go right down into slide position.
Anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this problem and how to rectify it please?
Fortunately the roof does not leak..
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

[V] No one have any ideas or experience with sun roof problems?
Maybe its crowbar time? [}:)] [:0] But I cant get at it again yet, its down in Devon at the moment. [:)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The mounting holes are slotted, slacken the fixings that you can see inside the car with the sunshade slid back and wriggle it around until you are happy, slap some vaseline on the tracks and hopefully bob could be your uncle!
Stewart
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Thanks Stewart, I always wanted an uncle Bob [:D] I dont recall seeing any fixing screws, when i was messing with the roof, but will examine it far more closely when the car comes back. [:)]
Did you buy that Auto BX? it sounded like a nice car.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

No my Dad found himself a F**D orion Diesel, makes you realise how good the Cits are though, error in original message I think the fastenings at the sides show better when the roof is in the tilt position
Regards Stewart
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi All. I was unable to find any means of ajusting the sunroof.. So, I used a wide bladed bolster chisel and levered the passenger side of the sunroof forward, it made a loud "crack" noise and moved back into more or less the right place [:D].
It now lies flush with the roof when closed, and opens/closes in the tilt position as per normal, but it still wont drop low enough on the passenger side to allow it to slide back.. As I cant see anyway to make further progress without removing the headlineing to see whats causing the problem I have told the lady she must either take it to a body shop, and pay them to sort it, or, live with it as it is...
She said she's quite happy to use the 'tilt' only option.. So that's that, its not %100 right, but it's near enought to make her a happy lady again.. [:)]
On her 1,200 holiday mileage the car averaged 44.5 MPG.. I think thats great for a 1.9 automatic, and she has already saved about £100 in fuel costs since she got rid of the Auto Astra and got her ZX Aura 4 months ago. [:D]
KEITHC
My Cars:

Post by KEITHC »

I have had the same problem with a 405 tilt/slide sunroof. To get the roof to operate correctly, I had to apply pressure to push the roof down while operating the switch, then pushing up while operating the switch. When it started to drop correctly, I had to also assist in pushing the roof back into the roof space, and pulling it forward while also operating the switch. Eventually, with the aid of WD40 on the runners and any mechanism that I could see, it operated correctly off the switch. It is then just a case of oiling everything, including the spiral operating rod that runs down both sides.
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

i looked at a ZX with exactly the same problem today, i had the roof in tilt position unscrewed the four torx 20 screws lifted the glass out and found that the slideing bit that pushes the mechanism was broken on one side where the small plastic arm swiveled. luckily it was still in the track so i put a bit of superglue on it and stuck it back on.
time will tell if it holds, other wise tilt will have to do.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Hi all.
Had the same prob with my Elation.
I changed the whole casette & now works fine!!, also gave me the excuse I needed to change the headlining from light grey to dark grey.
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

I had the same prob on girlfriends volcane. Undid the torx screws put it back into position and told her never to open it again!!!!!