NO scrap yard - SOLD to Mosser

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Living in a third World Country, Australia, we can import cars here (used to be 15 years old) now 18 or we cop all kinds of charges and "compliancing" regulations.
Import duties are levied on occasions on the value of the car here not what you pay for it.
The reason being that we have a car manufacturing Industry here that produces such crap that they need all the protection they can get. Presently we have Holden (GM) Ford, Toyota and Mitsubishi all making "cars of World Standard" but still they don't have enough confidence in their products to open the narket. Apparently we've just signed a FTA with the Yanks so doubtless we'll soon be able to buy SUVs (S tupid, U neccessary V ehicles) with 7 litre V8s doing about 10MPG as our contribution to reduction of global warming but still few if any HDi's. Great logic.[:p][:p][:p]
Alan S
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Here in the UK Vauxhall (Part of GM) has started importing / rebadging the Holden Monaro as the Vauxhall Monaro. Apparently the Americans will be getting that same car as the new Pontiac Fiero... The Monara isn't a bad car by all accounts, the HSV Commodore isn't bad either, I think the V8 engine helps them somewhat.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

Here in the UK Vauxhall (Part of GM) has started importing / rebadging the Holden Monaro as the Vauxhall Monaro. Apparently the Americans will be getting that same car as the new Pontiac Fiero... The Monara isn't a bad car by all accounts, the HSV Commodore isn't bad either, I think the V8 engine helps them somewhat.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sorry to burst the bubble, but when the Monaro was introduced, we had a car show along the lines of "top gear" playing at teh time. The host takes one for a test drive and makes the classic statement "There are some great 6 speed gearboxes around at present.......unfortunately, this isn't one of them!!" Pricewise they are expensive beyond belief for what they are; a posers car. You can buy a Merc, BMW and several other top line cars for less than one of these.
The Commodore (affectionately known as a "Dunnydoor") again is a pretty ordinary car until you get to the HSV which again, is priced way above the price of decent cars and at present seems to be getting the reputation of being a straight out killer car.
One young girl driving one in Victoria a couple of weeks ago managed to get off the road on a wet day & planted it straight under an oncoming truck and wiped her whole family out (5 people) and near me the other day, someone managed to lose one in a built up area at not any great speed and plant is square on into a house.
The engine they use is only a Chev so nothing too special about that. I couldn't imagine one of these gas guzzling V8s winning too many popularity contests over your way with the price of petrol over there; by the time they ship it over, you'd probably buy a couple of C5s; that'll give you an idea of price.[:0][:0][:0]
I've owned 2 Holdens in my time; I thought the first one was a lemon, the second one proved they <b>all</b> were.
Alan S
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yes, but over here, cars are fashion accessories so the bigger or more powerful it is, the more important/ virile/ rich you are perceived as being. The current fashion among silly little boys is to fit the biggest diameter wheels that will fit together with rubber band tyres a foot wide. Add a four inch diameter exhaust pipe and you have a racing car which doesn't ride or corner on our roads. They can't get their power down either because the contact area is reduced by the contours of the road surface, leading to wheelspin.
The fun begins in the wet when these things become demented clockwork toys, aquaplaning as soon as you touch the throttle and falling off everywhere.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

There was a review of either the MG ZT 260 or the MG SV, apparently the gearbox on the review car wasn't very good, it didn't go into 3rd gear at all....
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosser</i>

Hi John,
Many thanks for your kind offer, i'm sure i will be able to enjoy driving your car for many years to come!, I always look after my cars and this one will be no exception
I have emailed you all my details and i look forward to hearing from you
Cheers
Ian
Check you email Ian ... Car is sold to you for the price mentioned! Hope your son and twins will enjoy the ride [:)]
Cheers mate,
John
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Hi John,
Yup, got your email and i have replied now,
Thanks for letting me have it at a very favourable price!!
See you on sunday
Ian
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adzbaby</i>

Thats a cracking offer John. As Alan said 'pity there aren't more..'.
Its a great example of the idea of 'what comes around goes around' which is so true, you gotta give to get!!
Its real good to see people not trying squeeze every bloddy penny outta other peeps!
I agree on that one! Anyway ... Mosser did collect the car today and my 2.5 year old is pissed off ... [:I] (moderators, sorry about the bad language!)
I am sure he will make the car last for ages!
Cheers,
John
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by debutant</i>

[quote]
I agree on that one! Anyway ... Mosser did collect the car today and my 2.5 year old is pissed off ... [:I] (moderators, sorry about the bad language!)
I am sure he will make the car last for ages!
Cheers,
John

(In this case we''l turn a blind eye) [;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]
Alan S [:o)]
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Yup, I am now driving it instead of my peugeot and enjoying every minute of it !!, I suffer from hayfever so the aircon and pollen filter are going to be really good for me, and after driving the xantia and getting back into my peugeot, i thought the suspension had siezed inthe puegeot!!, but its just that the xantia is so smooth
It drives really nicely and i'm suprised at how much power it has got!, my 406 only had 90bhp but this looks like its got 135 if i've looked it up correctly, I filled it up as soon as i got it and when we got home i filled it up again so i could do MPG calculations and i got 41MPG out of it on the journey home so i'm happy with its consumption
I am now looking to do a DIY LPG conversion now (i will get it checked over afterwards and certified), Does anyone know of a decent LPG kit for the 1.8i 16v xantia?, or what kit the factory LPG installation had in it?
Thanks once again John for letting me have your Xantia!!
Cheers
Ian
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosser</i>

my 406 only had 90bhp but this looks like its got 135 if i've looked it up correctly, I filled it up as soon as i got it and when we got home i filled it up again so i could do MPG calculations and i got 41MPG out of it on the journey home so i'm happy with its consumption
Ian,
I am pretty sure that the Xantia has 110bhp (not 135bhp as you wish [:p]). Regarding the MPG ... not sure you have the right number there, but you could be close to it (I mentiond once in some topic I managed to get 38MPG). That was a mixture of motorway and back roads though, so if your calculation is based on motorways, it could be right as it was very economical for a petrol engine. Alan probably remembers the topic/discussion! Don't forget Ian, the car has been well maintained by Citroen (at my expense what you can see from the invoices).
I am happy though I "sold" it to the right person! Many happy miles ...
By the way: are you sure you are gonna drive it as it seems your wife wants it now [:D][}:)][;)][:o)]
Cheers,
John
P.S. yes, the company car drives well but it aint a Citroen! [B)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by debutant</i>

[quote]<i>Originally posted by Mosser</i>

By the way: are you sure you are gonna drive it as it seems your wife wants it now [:D][}:)][;)][:o)]
Cheers,
John
[B)]
If she's expecting twins, she's possibly attracted by the adjustable steering column...[:D][:D][;)][:0]
Alan S [;)]