rear brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_sp

rear brakes

Post by mark_sp »

I guess its time to reseat the rear calipers on the Xantia as they are squeeling like mad.
Does anybody know what size torx I'll need (I assume its a torx, havn't actually looked).
Will I get away with just new pads or will the discs be damaged?
Cheers
Mark
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The rear calipers are held on by two hex bolts, there are not torque bolts on them.
When the corrosion happens behind the caliper, it pushes it away from the suspension arm usually at an angle. This means that your pads won't have been in the right place on the disc and won't have been at the right angle either. If you're lucky the discs will clean up and you might be able to clean up and flatten the pads with a hacksaw, but its probably best to replace the pads since they end up very worn at one side and unused at the other, often with a lip where they've missed the edge of the disc.
I've had 3 calipers needed treating, and I didn't have to replace any discs, but two pads did need replacing, it all depends on how far gone they are.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Thanks
Anyone know which part number, there are three listed which all say Xantia Hatch all.
N64110
N64110A
N64110B
My car is a 1998 pre facelift 1.9TD Hatch. It does however have the larger (estate type) front discs fitted.
Thanks
Mark
Jon

Post by Jon »

all the REAR pads are the same on Xantia Hatch.
N64110 Textar brand
N64110A in Lucas Girling brand
N64110B are Genuine Citroen
Some people prefer one brand over the other, thats the reason why GSF offer a choice!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I noticed that the dirt / dust on my front wheels came off easilly with water where as the dirt on the rears was very difficult to shift, even rather harsh and nasty alloy wheel cleaner had trouble lifting it.
The front pads are Textar where as the rears are Lucas, the pad materials are different and one is significantly easier to clean off alloy wheels than the other is.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Thanks
Mark