Peugeot 508 Aircon Troubleshooting

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ben341

Re: Peugeot 508 Aircon Troubleshooting

Post by ben341 »

ozvtr wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 00:54 If you have a local garage, ask them if they have a set of air conditioning service gauges and if they will check the system pressure. ONLY CHECK THE PRESSURE!! Don't let them "fix" it yet! If the static pressure is "around" 90psi, the problem is NOT the refrigerant. The actual pressure that it should be will depend on the temperature of the day.
Loss of refrigerant, either quickly or slowly, without any external signs I.E. oil leaks, is not uncommon.
Hi Ozvtr, it was re gassed on the last bank hol weekend of May. Useful advice though to eliminate loss of refrigerant.
ben341

Post by ben341 »

Thanks all for responses. I know this might sound like a daft question, but I had timing belt and water pump done mid 23, along with full service. Is anything close enough to those components that something might have been unplugged and not reattached? Timing of issue might be around the same time, I'm unsure. I wasn't too impressed with the garage, I thought I had a horrendous oil leak until I took engine cover off and realise that when adding oil they've basically just poured it all around the block. Didn't exactly scream good attention to detail to me.
LedZep
Donor 2024

Post by LedZep »

ben341 wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 11:28 Thanks all for responses. I know this might sound like a daft question, but I had timing belt and water pump done mid 23, along with full service. Is anything close enough to those components that something might have been unplugged and not reattached? Timing of issue might be around the same time, I'm unsure. I wasn't too impressed with the garage, I thought I had a horrendous oil leak until I took engine cover off and realise that when adding oil they've basically just poured it all around the block. Didn't exactly scream good attention to detail to me.
Nothing sounds daft in life from my experience.Probably there is nothing to do with timing power train. The only thing i can imagine when they did what they did for service, is to smash-unplug the cables that power the compressor, pressure switches of hi and low sides of piping when they were trying to remove belt tensioner or engine mount. Or something else in fuse box area.
I took a look about "Halfords" from curiosity as they are unknown to me. "We do it all for a penny" could be the title. "Air Con Diagnostic from £34.99, NOW £17.49" , now it is summer to make profit. If they insert in drop menu the field "nuclear power plant service", will be perfect. I don't want to blame anyone , but using cheap inexperience personnel of youngs that are trying to make their living and learn from damaging, it's not their fault but the company. Cheap things are paid twice usually. Anyway it will be wise to find some really professional to check things because there is need of special tools like gauges.

Some things you can check, if you have ramp and SAFETY FIRST, is for unplugged power wires which is in compressor, may be a yellow connector. Pressure switches cables, usually in piping of low and high pressure sides and fuse or relay (you said that there is none). So it is most likely there is a control unit in central panel of A/C that make it work.Button, switches, or the control air mixture valve maybe is faulty too or even the electronic board.

If there is refrigerant leak, usual suspects are shaft seal behind the clutch or o rings of compressor (i repair one of my wife's ΚΙΑ i couldn't find part and the nonsense mechanics telling me about astrophysics and 900€ with only 3 NBR o rings and seal shaft 9€). You can check for some kind of light oil if there is big leak down to compressor which is PAG oil with fluorescent Dye usually, to lubricate compressor pistons or rotor (depends of the model). If you go to a professional he will try to detect leak with UV light or a R134a sniffing device (I'm sure it's made in Colombia). The valves for gauges and joints of dryer or expansion valve can be damaged too or leak. Everything is GUESSING. Hope you find a good mechanic to do the job right.