Leaking LDS - pump or pipes? C5 X7

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kees
Donor 2024

Re: Leaking LDS - pump or pipes? C5 X7

Post by Kees »

Yes, i think that there is the problem, underneath the tank are 2 connection with a hose with clamps on it.
I think one of them became almost loose, this explain the spill, and this happened because of the high pressure when you depressurize the system without loosen the cap from the tank.
It's not wise to keep driving the car and each time to fill the LDS, because this hose will completely come of from the tank, and also will damage the pomp itself.
My advice would be, remove the tank and replace the clamps.
Greetings,
Kees.
Kees
Donor 2024

Post by Kees »

To remove the tank, remove the right wheel and the mud protector.
There you can see the hose with also a clamp, when you loose this one, you can drain the tank, the last thing are the 2 nuts with hold the tank and then you can lift it.
Greetings,
Kees.
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

Thanks - fingers crossed :) Now I need to consider how to jack up the car with depressurised suspension (seperate thread!) :)
Cheers!
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

So just an update for the thread

So I put cardboard under the car and the next day it had significant drips of LDS so I went ahead and ordered 4 litres of LDS and a new LDS tank. I then had to drive 70km to the hospital and back - stopping every so often to crawl underneath expecting to find LDS flooding out but nothing seemed to be dripping.
Last night I put clean cardboard out but this morning it was perfectly clean. I think what I was seeing was residual LDS that was forced out when I depressurised without first removing the cap. I did see that the cap had the hole in it.
However, this weekend I am going to replace the tank anyway, if for no other reason that to clean the area and the pump and for peace of mind :)
I do have a question in that I feel like cracking open the end of the pump and spraying it clean with brake cleaner - good idea or not?
Also can I remove the end cap without disturbing the commutators - I don't fancy trying to get 4 of them back in place without causing damage.
Thanks all!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

There's a load of links here to posts dealing with suspension pump faults, repair and cleaning.
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

Thanks - I have just read them all :) phew!
So now I have a question as someone complained that a previous owner had replaced the factory pipe clamps with jubilee clips - now I don't have the special tool that is used on the original clamps and only have access to the correct size jubilee clips.
Am I going to be OK doing this?
Kees
Donor 2024

Post by Kees »

It's no problem to use this ones.
20240705_155912.jpg
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

I have those :)
Thank you!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Kees wrote: 05 Jul 2024, 15:00 It's no problem to use this ones.
Nasty things that are only fit for use on a garden hose !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dogger
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

Yes, but if you have no choice!!
I assume that the factory crimps cannot be reused?
Or can they?
Kees
Donor 2024

Post by Kees »

They can, but you have to buy a special pliers a 50 Euro.
But there's nothing wrong to use the one on the picture.
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

50 euros!!!! I'm not made of money - I drive a Citroen....oh, wait.... :)
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

Ok, so I can confirm that the LDS tank did not burst and all of the pipes were securely attached so where the excess LDS came from is a mystery. Anyway, I have removed the old tank as I am going to replace it anyway - the new one is nice and shiny :)
When I removed the pipe to the power steering, what came out was an awful colour - obviously it's the original from the factory, so changing it seems also like a good idea. However, I only managed to remove 1 litre approx as the suspension is on high to remove the front wheel and I have disconnected the battery. Is there a way to safely remove any more LDS in this situation - obviously I don't want the pump to start up with an empty tank.
Kees
Donor 2024

Post by Kees »

To drain the LDS, you have to put the car in the lowest position, and depressurize with the diagbox.
After 3 minutes disconnect the battery.
Just put the Jack under the car, before you lower the car.
When you finish, connect the battery, make contact, wait until the pomp stops and then you can raise the car to remove the jack
Greetings,
Kees.
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

Thanks - OK that's a job for another day then.
I replaced everything after having cleaned it all - luckily it looks like the LDS didn't go anywhere near the pump so I just gave that a quick spray with brake cleaner and wiped it down dry. It's working ok so best to leave it alone for now.
All of the original clips went back just fine - I inherited a pair of vintage pinching pliers years ago and they are perfect for redoing the factory clips so that's a relief.
I refilled the tank with 1 litre of fluid and it gurgled a bit and I measured what came out and it was just over a litre - so put everything back together and leaving the tank cap loose, I did the raise/lower procedure a couple of time and steering lock to lock just in case there were any air bubbles. Everything seemed to be fine.
I then got out Diagbox and still with the cap loose, I depressurised the system. I then topped up the LDS to the appropriate mark - it took about 1/3 of a litre - and then tightened down the cap and started the car.
After a minute or so I raised it to Normal and it came right up.
So everything seems to be back to normal and no obvious leaks. When I was cleaning it all up, I found lots of pipes and surfaces covered with LDS, including the power steering pump, so that was what happened - it was residual drops of LDS that were on the ground each morning. It all got a good clean and degreasing :)