Is it the stepper motor or potentiometer or both?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

When the idle revs are ok (and engine hot) - unplug the stepper motor connector.
If the idle revs still hover - then the stepper motor is NOT guilty [8D]
markallinson
My Cars:

Post by markallinson »

I've seen this on a Synergie, it was down to the little damper on the throttle assembly. It was quite worn and sticking. Not sure about the Xantia as I've never been under the bonnet but if it has a dmaper then try removing it.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ah this is the exact same problem as my Xsara. Revs hover around 1200 to 1500. Problem I'm having is that it doesn't do it all the time only most of the time. So should I unplug the idel control when its over reving or when it's reving normaly? Desperate for a fix as driving me MAD!.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<font color="red"><i>WHEN</i></font id="red"> the engine is hot - and SHOULD behave [;)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Been in to the garage started up the old girl. Revs a little higher then normal, unpluged the idel valve and the revs at first stopped where they were , then they went up a bit, then down a bit and then finally it stalled. Plugged back in as per previous. Also unpluged the throttle thingy (potentiometer) this caused a slight increase in engine revs but apart form that nothing out of the ordinary. So it sounds like it's the valve.
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

same problem for me so unplugged stepper motor when behaving and has been ok since, only thing is, will this cause any problems in the futer if i leave it unplugged.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Rite then. After abit of a problem (me ordering the right part for the wrong engine [:I]) I have to day put on the new Bosch idel speed control valve [:D]. Now the engine was still hot so only took for a short spin. All seemed well the revs came down to about normal but as I was opening the garge they rose a little but they then settled again. So there we are a lot better but not perfect [:(]. Have thought about it logically had have ruled out coil pack & leads as starts and runs fine with no mis fire, ruled out MAP sensor as no stalling, ruled out potentionometer as engine runs really crap with out it. So I'm going for the temp sender to the ECU and changing the NGK plugs for Champion as I've never been happy with NGK splugs on the whole. Let you know how I get on.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Couldn't get the Champion plugs so fitted some Bosch super '4' instead. See other post about the sensor. But so far all's well after that last revs blip.