Any Renault mechanics on here?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Not a mechanic I'm afraid, but looking at the post I'd suspect either air in the system (hence the compression) or a duff master cylinder (letting fluid past the pistons). It is unlikely to be a wheel cylinder as these tend to leak when they go wrong and you say you have no fluid loss. Have you changed the brake fluid? It does have a finite life, is very often ignored and, if the car stood for a year prior to you getting it, the fluid is unlikely to be at its best. If you want further ideas try posting the question on http://www.carmechanicsmag.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi - they seem to have a number of mechanics resident and a well used forum.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Not a specific Renault problem.
Symptoms you have are typical for air in system and/or bypass leak in master cylinder. No wheel bearings or suspension parts could ever cause this.
Start out by bleeding all wheel cylinders - if no cure you're left with the master cylinder bypass leak problem.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like master cylinder to me and what i think is happening is that one of the internal seals has failed, allowing the two 'tandem' pistons to meet or at least clos up. I expect if you take it to bits you will find that some of the seals resemble wine gums.
I am of course assuming that you have a direct acting servo which sits between the pedal and the master cylinder. If you have a remote onne (hidden under the floor somewhere? it could be a problem but I haven't considered it properly. (I'm not even sure they still make them and think you need a pair for a tandem system)
Your noise from a front wheel could be a driveshaft?
jeremy