E-C4

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

osx
(Donor 2022)

Re: E-C4

Post by osx »

I've seen used EC4's going for a similar price compared to petrol EC4's. The main differentiating factor between the EC4 and other similar EVs is the suspension. I think for 10-15k it is a very good second car.
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

osx wrote: 12 May 2024, 20:35
RichardW wrote: 12 May 2024, 19:19 Make sure you can live with the pretty abysmal range!
It's a 40 mile max return commute so I am sure it will be ok from that end.
Could have done that comfortably in my ten year old Renault Zoe :) my 2020 one has a range claimed at 245 miles.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So claimed mileage (bull***t mileage) = 245
Less 20% as they only recommend you don't charge to no more than 80% for battery health, so that's 196 remaining range.

Then conversely, don't let the battery fall below 20%, so another 20% off the range leaving 147 miles if you follow the recommendations....

The EV data shows for the Zoe 190 range so that's in line with the above, but excludes the don't go below 20% part I mentioned.

There's been a recent success story from a bloke with an Audi E-Tron, who managed to get shot of it back to the dealership who gave him bull range figures (the vehicle was used), as the bloke was getting nowhere near the range he was sold on. He won from the financial ombudsman and was able to have the vehicle returned and got compensation. They think this could start a precedent.

... just found the article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... t-won.html
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The EC-4 is a very nice car gets in general very decent reviews, appear to offer decent prices on the second hand 3 year old market after someone else has paid the majority of the depreciation, will be able to be charged at home when its sitting doing nothing, and on a tariff that is half the price of petrol right now.

What's not to like if you can afford it? Have your eyes open about range. Ev's have "economy" figures like MPG.
Currently I get a very decent 4.5 miles/kWh, rises to 5.1miles/kWh in summer and down to around 4miles/kWh in winter. That's on a 9 year old Leaf with a 24kWh battery. I don't know what the real life expected miles/kWh is for the e-C4. Just like with a petrol car different drivers of the same car will get different fuel economy.

Give it a gentle ride and you'll get more miles/kWh, and give it gentle charging regime if you want longevity. On the road electricity is roughly the same equivalent price as petrol right now, but you are better off financially and battery health wise if the high power on-road rapid charging is reserved for occasional use, and regular charging is done at home. The 20%-80% thing is obviously not compulsory but in many ways sensible. Its quicker charging in that range of battery state of charge, and it is always better to arrive at a planned charger visit on a journey with a decent amount in hand, just in case you have to find an alternative. I have never run out of electricity yet adopting that policy.

It would be nice to have a few more plungetakers in the FCF fold, so I hope you bring your e-C4 potential purchase to a conclusion, and enjoy the new driving experience.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

When I collected the car it had 197 miles range on the clock, I drove it the 46 miles home via the M4- M48 and on arriving home it's showing 170 miles range left, didn't particularly drive for economy but.......................
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
osx
(Donor 2022)

Post by osx »

Did a test drive today. Similar experience with the range. Power enough for normal driving, feels almost the same as the 2.0 HDi. The suspension is definitely softer compared to the German and Japanese family cars but not as close as I was expecting to the "traditional" Citroen feeling (even the X7 with 19 wheels felt softer). No electric seats (think that's a rarity in the eC4 world) but otherwise equipment more than enough (Shine Plus). Was able to use the infotainment system - agree not the most intuitive interface but seen worse.
I think it is a very reasonable proposal - just wish that the suspension was more Citroen like.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

On the new Zoe the suspension has three settings soft regular and sport according to the manual although I haven't tried it yet, still moving through the long list of options one at a time.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

OSX, you may find this of some background use. It is a thread on the e-C4 section on SpeakEV titled
Average for the e-C4 from one poster reported be around 3 to 3.5 miles per kWh in real driving over a couple of years. Considerably less than 4.5 to 5.1 I get in the the Leaf. Heavier batteries albeit more capacity and greater total range, do most of the damage there, and I do drive in an economical style. The thread concerns someone reporting that he only gets 2miles/kWh. Something obviously wrong there and various reasons discussed.

The thread if you give it a read also has a link to a facebook group specifically for the e-C4.

One thing when driving EV's which you very quickly realise, that no matter what the tech/algorithm used the range remaining mileage figure is a GOM not a matter of fact. Yes a Guess-o-Meter based on how the car has been driven over the last x miles since the tripmeter was last reset. I get more range reported now for an 80% Charge than when I bought the car 46,000 miles and 4½ years ago in November 2019.

The guess-o-meter will go up and down on the basis of the power required to negotiate hills, and the level of regeneration selected which recharges the traction battery when slowing down, coasting downhill and braking. Gibbo's evidence of his return home from Cardiff bears this out. On stretches of road I use I can see the guess-o-meter dropping 2 miles when I have travelled 6 miles, and the reverse is the case ascending hills.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Sloppysod
Donor 2024

Post by Sloppysod »

osx wrote: 14 May 2024, 14:29 The suspension is definitely softer compared to the German and Japanese family cars but not as close as I was expecting to the "traditional" Citroen feeling (even the X7 with 19 wheels felt softer). No electric seats (think that's a rarity in the eC4 world) but otherwise equipment more than enough (Shine Plus).
Look at the C-series (50kw version) or the E-series (54kw version), if you want electric seats etc…
I agree about the suspension, but realistically, you will never get close to the traditional Citroën 'wet' suspension unless you spend a lot of money and get a car with Air suspension, such as the BIG Audis, Mercedes, BMWs, Lexus…).
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
osx
(Donor 2022)

Post by osx »

Next in line for test drive Volvo EX30 and a MB EQE (both will work well with salary sacrifice).