C5 X7 suspension pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tasie C5

Re: C5 X7 suspension pump

Post by Tasie C5 »

I'm prepared I hope I have a new 5 litre container and some LDS.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

for info...
438264144_1580260316040322_3892857960796981959_n.jpg
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
cit-rotti
Donor 2024

Post by cit-rotti »

Unfortunately, disassembling the pump as far as shown in the videos is absolutely pointless and the pump can then be thrown away.
See copies of ACC-Citroen mould with link to YouTube.
https://www.andre-citroen-club.de/forum ... 2#comments

The cover, as shown in the second video at 8:45, should not be removed as far as possible because the nitrogen filling can certainly not be realised during reassembly.

The pump should be removed for cleaning. There are actually only six screws/nuts, two at the bottom from the wheel housing and four for the line holder from above. Pay attention to the green sealing rings on the pressure lines and you're good to go. The LDS tank must of course also be removed.

I would clean the pump as soon as possible, just remove the rear cover, a little brake cleaner and compressed air and you're done. It all takes about 1-2 hours. It's difficult to do when it's installed because the two screws for the cover are too long.
Greetings Wolfgang
Tasie C5

Post by Tasie C5 »

Thank you all for your help.
The pump has been removed by a workshop. The motors commutator was a complete mess with a paste of carbon and hydraulic fluid clogging everything. This was cleaned and re assembled only to have the fuse blow again. So the motor had shorted out internally.
I have located a used pump with a 3 month guarantee in South Australia. so I hope to get that.
During the removal of the pump the car was jacked up and the suspension extended causing a spill of fluid and the car now is completely down on the bump stops.
Is there any precautions that need to be taken when the next pump is fitted. Allan.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Tasie C5 wrote: 16 May 2024, 02:29
During the removal of the pump the car was jacked up and the suspension extended causing a spill of fluid

Is there any precautions that need to be taken when the next pump is fitted. Allan.
Depends when it happened and from where....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Kees
Donor 2024

Post by Kees »

In the future if you want to jack up the car, just put him first in the highest position or disconnect the battery, also don't forget to loosen the cap of the lds tank.
When you fill the tank with lds with the new pomp, don't fill to much lds!!!
dulenator
Donor 2024

Post by dulenator »

When fitting the new pump, it's good to have the suspension on bump stops, so there is less air in the system when everything is connected and ready to go up.

If you are removing/refitting the pump, or any other part of the hydraulic thingies, you need to put it in the lowest position and depressurise the system.
For everything else, the highest position is the right way.
Kees
Donor 2024

Post by Kees »

@TassieC5:
When the new pomp is installed and filled with lds, you have to put pressure on the lds tank around 0.5 bar.
Otherwise the pomp will not build up pressure.
citro6hydra

Post by citro6hydra »

It is most unfortunate that the motor could not be repaired, and the motor on your replacement unit should be the same as your old one. But there is a potential trap in changing the pump assembly over -

The suspension pump assemblies are apparently configured for the particular variant of C5 and there are from memory something like 24 variants, you may find that the pump assy you have purchased when fitted, the motor will run but the suspension will not function. In a dealership service situation the dealership would order a replacement by supplying the VIn No. to the factory, and the factory would supply a configured pump unit identical to the original, apparently they cannot be reconfigured in the field if at all.

The motor in your purchased unit will be the same but the electronics in the control unit on top are likely to be configured differently unless the donor vehicle is IDENTICAL in all respects to yours, you may find that you will have to put the donor motor on your old unit, this avoids any compatibility problems - OR -

Some repairers have apparently changed the control module on top over to another pump assembly undoing 4 screws without any problems. I have not tried this because I have two good spare motors but there doesn't seem to be any reason why this won't work and it certainly would be an easy way of overcoming the compatibility problem.

I do know of two instances where replacement s/h pumps have simply been fitted and the motors have run themselves to destruction simply because the units weren't compatible with the new vehicle so thought it should be highlighted.
Armidillo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Armidillo »

Surely we didn't get all the variants in Australia?
citro6hydra

Post by citro6hydra »

I agree but there appear to be enough to cause problems.

I'm not sure I remember all the information required to configure the BHI but certainly 3 things were - tyre/wheel size - type of headlight ( xenon or std ) and type pf power steering ( i think on the V6 ) and of course later models have height sensing on each wheel, all of this probably interfaces with the ECU which is configured for engine type and many other things.

If the donor and recipient vehicle are not the same, the simplest and easiest way of fixing the problem would definitely be to exchange the black control module on top of the pump ( just 4 screws no leaking of LDS etc. ) then just ensure the tank is pressurised and the system should work as normal.
KennyW
Donor 2024

Post by KennyW »

I agree with citro6hydra if the pump is changed exchange the suspension ecu onto 'new' pump, make sure it is the same part no found on old pump, fill up with LDS fluid pressurise the system. I made one with tyre valve and pressure cap then use a bicycle pump.

Put suspension on high setting and wait fit it to rise.

Also worth checking new pump for the the gunk wiithin.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Kees
Donor 2024

Post by Kees »

Don't put the car in the highest position!
Just let the pomp start pumping and wait until its stops, then raise the car and follow the bleeding procedure.
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

citro6hydra wrote: 17 May 2024, 11:21
Some repairers have apparently changed the control module on top over to another pump assembly undoing 4 screws without any problems. I have not tried this because I have two good spare motors but there doesn't seem to be any reason why this won't work and it certainly would be an easy way of overcoming the compatibility problem.
A few months ago when my pump motor was damaged, I turned the internet upside down to find a like for like pump, then I was advised that that even notionally identical models could still have differences in the pump control module's configuration parameters. Fortunately MGMike gave me the heads up to transfer the electronics module across from the old BHI to the new one, and as you say it's simply four screws. I did this and it worked for me, so I'd recommend citro6hydra, or his mechanic do the same.

If the new motor also blows the fuse, you're looking at damaged wiring, you can test for this by disconnecting the plugs for the motor, which are probably already off if the motor is on the bench, pulling the 40a maxi fuse, and multimetering it's contacts for continuity to ground (body), I use the suspension mounts as a negative contact for jump starting other cars with the citroen, so I'd suggest using the Left strut top as it's near the engine bay fusebox that you'll be poking about inside. If you get a free circuit to earth you've got a chaffed wire arcing to the body. Essentially the wiring runs from the BSI (engine bay fuse box) to abig relay between the right headlight and radiator pack, then through that relay to the pump, if this wiring is damaged, repairing or bypassing the damaged wiring, but you must retain the relay, is pretty straight forward autosparky stuff.
cit-rotti
Donor 2024

Post by cit-rotti »

Jay-Bruce wrote: 20 May 2024, 11:22
citro6hydra wrote: 17 May 2024, 11:21
A few months ago when my pump motor was damaged, I turned the internet upside down to find a like for like pump, then I was advised that that even notionally identical models could still have differences in the pump control module's configuration parameters. Fortunately MGMike gave me the heads up to transfer the electronics module across from the old BHI to the new one, and as you say it's simply four screws. I did this and it worked for me, so I'd recommend citro6hydra, or his mechanic do the same.

I
Thank you for this helpful hint.
Alternatively, it is probably possible to change the appropriate configuration with the PSA diagnostic device.

Greetings Wolfgang