zx volcane turbo diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stu
My Cars:

zx volcane turbo diesel

Post by Stu »

Hello people, please help me , I just bought a zx turbo diesel with 115.000 miles ... first day all was going well and then the throttle sticks open, the engine did rev some but i shut it down asap, had a look at the cable and every thing seemed ok.. started up and she was ok again. Ok I thought.. got home about 5 miles later and noticed an oil leak, Looks like it could be the head gasket ? what can I do ? is this going to be a painful experiance ? and if so what else should i do at the same time, first impressions are I like the car. goes well .. but don't want the thing to blow up every week.. ? [xx(]
markallinson
My Cars:

Post by markallinson »

My Xsara has a little damper on the fuel pump end of the throttle cable, these can get a bit sticky with wear. Don't worry about an oil leak. Remove the oil filler cap, if there is mayo in there then check your thermostat. Also check the water for signs of contamination. I nearly did my head gasket (had mayo) but after a tip on this forum I changed the thermostat and its been right as rain since, although it does leak oil, but I can live with that as its minor.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Could be something really exciting like the throttle cable itself. Wife has a 1.9D and tells me on her way to work she'd discovered hidden power - it wouldn't stop but she'd turned it off and freed it up. Suggested she put the mat under the pedal to prevent re-occurrence which she did and all was slowly ok.
When I replaced the cable I found that there was a lubricant in the original which seemed to have gone granular. New cable has solved problem. Be careful if you get a kit - bugger to fit and for example rubber section for pedal on 1.9D doesn't allow throttle to open properly unless it is cut down.
I realise that with plain D full throttle is rather more important than with TD (I have TD BX) but this could be a simple cause of your problem.
Jeremy
Stu
My Cars:

Post by Stu »

Thankyou very much for your posts Jerermy and Markallinson. I shall check out the possibility of a thermostat, I have no idea where it is but i'll go and get a manual today, The oil leak is recent and I have no mayo in the water, but it's a good old leak I have to say and seems suspect after the poor old girl reving it's bits of for a while. but for now the jar is half full again. as for the throttle, mine has a damper as well and looks like that could be the most likely fault as the cable looks newish. While I'm at it my speedo has a good old bounce around up till about 50mph then sorts itself out, any ideas ? many thanks
markallinson
My Cars:

Post by markallinson »

Iffy speedo can be a worn or badly routed speedo cable, I assume it is a cable? If its an electronic sender type then?...
DomF9
My Cars:

Post by DomF9 »

<<bugger to fit and for example rubber section for pedal on 1.9D doesn't allow throttle to open properly unless it is cut down.>>
Could you explain this, as my throttle cable on 1.9D went recently and Citroen dealer fitted the replacement, and I am now unable to go beyond 85mph whereas it would easily do 100 before. Which bit(s) do I need to get at and modify?
Thanks
Dom
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

DomF9 - see if the cable has any slack and move the clip across. it may be that the dealer didnt adjust it properly and the arm on the pump isnt moveing as much as it should
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its exactly as I said. Kits have a lump of rubber which with difficulty from the plan supplied you realise are to hold the pedal end of the outer cable. Fit it as it comes and the throttle won't open properly. If you've got a turbo - well it will probably take 6 mmonths to notice but those of us with 1.9 D's - well its all rather important to us unless we want to stall!
Yes the throttle opening is important on all these cars. get someone to put their foot on the pedal and see if the throttle lever is fully open without being under stress. If its not - you've got a problem.
Jeremy