Bx suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Toddman
My Cars:

Bx suspension

Post by Toddman »

Hi All
Been involved with citroens since growing up with Gs and GSA models and have owned 4 Bxs.
I currently have 2 Bx 16valvers and am finally trying to learn how the suspension works.
I have noticed the main differences between spheres are volume/gas pressure/hole diameter
I know from experience that if 2 spheres are the same apart from the hole diameter the smaller hole will have harder suspension.
Can someone please tell me why this is and how does each part of the BX suspension work.
I have read on car reviews that the 16v suspension was stiffened by dropping the gas pressure but numerous people say that having a higher pressure stiffens up their cars.
Also if you lower a bx what actually happens? - less fluid in the sphere? less pressure?
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Luke
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Luke,
There's heaps on here to be found.
Try the search function and I'd suggest check all messages posted by "Alexx" who from memory was an hydraulics engineer and for a while seemed to get deeply involved in most topics involved with hydraulics and suspensions.
You will find some very interesting stuff from him and Anders as wellas a few others that should keep you fully employed reading and studying for a long time; there's some pretty heavy reading amongst it I can assure you.
For a lesson in basics, try here:
http://web.actwin.com/toaph/citroen/work/work.html
Alan S
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Luke
Your best bet is to follow Alan's advice, but, briefly:
Smaller hole gives more damping - slows travel of fluid
Less gas pressure gives harder suspension - rock solid if no pressure at all!
Suspension is lowered by letting fluid out of the suspension circuit - the fluid is the 'connection' between the gas and the wheel hub assembly
Toddman
My Cars:

Post by Toddman »

Many thanks for the info,I will have a look around.
That short description has helped a lot Mike from that I can use the idea that the gas is the spring and the hole is the shock absorber in very simple terms but those 2 are the only things I would adjust.
Cheers
Luke