2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 308 Adblue problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tom309
Donor 2023

Re: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 308 Adblue problem

Post by Tom309 »

Hi All,
More issues with the Adblue/Urea system on my '15 308. A couple of months ago during the regen of the dpf, I had a couple of faults appear, these were on the control of the Urea injector open + short circuit. I know that the dpf is sepaerate to the urea circuit, but suspected that the injector was not happy with the increased exhaust temperature during regen. So after the regen was finished I was able to clear the faults. Next dpf regen, the same thing happened. So as the urea injectors are not expensive I ordered one to replace the existing one. Whilst waiting for it to arrive and then having some dry weather to fit it, the fault has changed to P2047 00 "Control of the Urea Injector - Permanent - open circuit".
I've now replaced the injector, but the open circuit fault remains. So now I thinking it may be the wiring or the control unit/driver fault. The wiring & connecter by the injector looks ok, but then the wires dissapear into the engine wiring harness. So does anyone know where these are connected? I suspect that this is controlled by the engine ecu (not the Adblue tank). So has anyone got access to a wiring diagram? is there a dosing controller or fuse for this?
Thanks, Tom
Tom309
Donor 2023

Post by Tom309 »

Oh, and the other wierd thing is that after the initial resetting of emissions fault and count down, I'm not getting any emmission faults, only the engine management light. If the Adblue injector is not working then I would expect to see these. Note I know they shouldn't be connected, but for completeness I do have a "worn" dpf (above is calculated life, it is 49% full of ash/cinders) which I intend to have a go at cleaning (or if unsuccesful, replacing) when we have a couple of dry days :roll:. unless there is some strange Peugeot software interaction?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Was this a forced regeneration?

This operation is really not recommended unless absolutely necessary for the very reason that the intense heat generated without the benefit of cooling from a moving vehicle can cause component damage. If this is the case it is entirely possible that some damage to the wiring from the SCR system has been caused especially as the tank and wiring is near to the exhaust system.

I don't have the diagram for this vehicle year with the SCR system at present. If that changes I'll put something up.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Tom309 wrote: 22 Jul 2023, 13:47 So has anyone got access to a wiring diagram?
Whats the reg or VIN?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Here:

VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Here you go, the urea injector is component 12B4 & is controlled directly by the injection ECU.
Attachments
SCR.jpg
injector.jpg
Tom309
Donor 2023

Post by Tom309 »

Hi Marc & Wheeler, thanks for the fast replies!

I'm just looking at the diagram now, but for info, it was a normal regen on dual carrige way mostly at 60 to 70mph (I use a mobile phone app to see when a regen starts to try and drive at the best regen conditions). I can't see any wiring near the exhaust/SCR except to the injector. That wiring is a bit away and seems ok from a visual check, hence I thought that it must be the injector.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

I fid the easiest way to check the wiring to the Urea injector is using a noid light so you can actually see it operating.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

A disappointing experience with our 308 lately. Just before we set off on holiday three weeks ago the dreaded Urea light came on. I cleared it away by telling the system that a new tank had been fitted (again!) and then set off on holiday to France a week ago.

I took the laptop and Diagbox with me though. I'm not that stupid.

Anyway, we got through the UK and half way through France before the warning came back. 700 miles is plenty enough to get us to our destination in the Vaucluse and for a week of driving afterwards but with only 100 miles left I thought it best to do the deed.

Curiously, telling the system that a new tank had been fitted didn't work this time round and then, after quelling a moment's panic, I found another way which did work which I'll set out in the hope it might help others.

First do a global scan for errors and clear what you find as normal. This won't stop the countdown though. you have to go inside the engine ECU (the second option down from the first which is the BSI). Inside there follow the path of-

Repair
Pack Repair
Service Action
Work on the Emission Control Circuit
Reinitialisation of the Denox System Faults

This was using Diagbox 7.58 and may be in a different place on other variants. Works for me!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

What fault is it pointing to this time?
Richard W
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I didn't take note as I was being single minded about resetting the countdown unfortunately.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Tom309
Donor 2023

Post by Tom309 »

Hi Paul,
It would be worth a quick re-scan for faults as I had to do the "Reinitialisation of the Denox System Faults" due to a faulty Adblue Injector (posted above). Now the car does not display any Emission Faults and does not give any countdown even though it has an open circuit adblue injector. Also monitoring for faults using my phone app, after about 20 miles of driving it comes up with the Adblue blockage error, but no "Urea" or "Emission Fault" is displayed on the dash! [I have driven over 150 miles with the "blockage" but not urea fault appears] The dash still displays the engine management fault due to the open circuit adblue injector.
So maybe the fault will be shown if you do a re-scan, or it might just be another fault that appears and then disappears....
Tom
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I'm a bit busy for the next few days and then I'll be driving 120 miles odd to pick up my daughter and her husband from the airport. I'll be watching to see if any warning lights come up and then I'll do a scan anyway.

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

It's more than a few days (23!) and more like 511 miles but I finally got around to plugging the Diagbox in today. I've had no warning lights or messages in that time and, as well as two 120 mile round trips to Marseille and local to-ing and fro-ing, we gave the engine a good testing by driving to the top of nearby Mont Ventoux.

There were a few codes of course but none I wasn't expecting and none relevant to the engine. We'll be leaving for the UK at the weekend and I'm reasonably hopeful we'll get back without another countdown crisis.

Tom309
Donor 2023

Post by Tom309 »

Hi Marc,
I don't know what has happened to this post, but the last two pages have disappeared. I was going to reply to the latest post later today, but it is now gone.