Is DS7 reliable car

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goggi10
My Cars: Citroen C5 2012

Is DS7 reliable car

Post by goggi10 »

Hi,
After Citroen C5 2012, Peugeot 508 GT 2017 i am considering buying a used DS7 2.0 disel 2018, 175000km. Now my concern is this how reliable is this car? Is this car worth buying and driving without major issues for a couple of years? What are the common issues? My second choice is Peugeot 5008 GT 2.0 also 2018. What is your respectful opinion?
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: DS DS5 2.0 180BHP Prestige 2016
Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 90BHP XTR 2014
Both in black, we could start an economy brand undertakers

Re: Is DS7 reliable car

Post by NotAnInterestingName »

You can basically consider all Peugeot Citroen and DS (and now Vauxhall and Fiat) models to be variations of the same thing. Choose whatever body shape and interior you prefer, what's underneath is pretty much the same.

See the photo below showing the underneath of my Citroen Berlingo and DS5 - both very different looking cars on top, but they share the same PF2 platform underneath...
Comparison.jpg
More recent models have moved to the newer EMP2 platform, but the same logic still applies...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_PF2_platform

You'll see that the DS7 and 5008 are both based on this platform, both are version 2.1 so should have identical wheelbase and similar dimensions.

Diesels are usually very reliable.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Engines are used across the marques with styling of vehicle and the interiors and specific tech / equipment being the only differentiating factors as mentoined ^.

DS Automobiles tend to have slightly more tech on them, hence the 'premium' price tag, but of course this may often lead to more things to go wrong and more out of warranty repair bills.

So is the DS7 reliable? Well there have been issues with the ride quality, and the vehicle 'skipping' across the road at the rear, excessive tyre wear reported by some owners.

Have a read of some owner reviews here:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ds ... -term-test

Personally I think they are over-rated, expensive for the same tech and if it was me, I'd be buying a C5 Aircross for far less which has just about allt he tech you realistically need and is more comfortable to ride in with the progressive hydraulic cushions.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

At the age/budget at which I was looking for a used car, the DS was about the same price as a Peugeot or Citroen of the same age and mileage.

My DS5 was £39k new, my Berlingo was £19k, almost exactly half. At six years old, their used values were near identical.

So they're often a good used buy. Values tend to drop a fair bit, as many aren't aware of them and those of a snobby persuasion who want a posh badge will usually overlook them.

I definitely wouldn't have paid double the cost of a Citroen for a new one. But for the same price or a little extra they can make lots of sense.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Indeed, used may be worth a look because of the poor depreciation values, but also bear in mind that when they are out of warranty there is a lot of potential expense when tech goes wrong.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

For me, the humble underpinnings were a big plus. I wouldn't have bought a premium badged car otherwise, wouldn't have considered say a BMW or Merc. I went to order a pollen filter from ebay, and was told I'd already ordered one, as it was exactly the same part that I'd previously ordered for the Berlingo.

If the engine blows up, then this executive car can have its engine replaced with an identical engine taken from a Citroen Dispatch builder's van in a scrapyard. Just cross-reference the part code and it's very likely you'll find most parts are also used in cheaper cars, so parts prices reflect this and there should be good used parts availability.

Bodywork and interior parts may be more expensive, but they don't normally need replacing. But at least you get the cheap oily bits.
goggi10
My Cars: Citroen C5 2012

Post by goggi10 »

Thanks,
Still in the process of thinking. The vehicle that am considering is VR1**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]