Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Estate 1995

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Did they sort out the sticking height correctors?
When I went back, he said it was sold and I was right about the H/C's which he was going to replace.
Waxee

Post by Waxee »

The H/C 's were fine so they must have done something to them. The Hydractive switch is still not working (I havent done anything about it yet)
This is my first Citroen so dont know how good the suspension should be but judging by the letters here I think I,m missing out on a much better ride.
1. The switch doesnt work, ie no light comes on regardless of whether my headlamps are on or off.
2. The switch when on or off stays at the same height above the surrounding bezel. Is this normal ?
3. I tried the sitting in the boot whilst engine running then again after turning engine off test today. Whilst engine was running the back end compensated for the extra weight, but with engine off, no movement. So which sphere need replacing now ?
4.After turning off the car there is a humming noise from under the car which lasts for approx 15 secs. It also does this when I unlock the car and open one of the doors. Is this normal and what is it ?
Bernie, just noticed that not only were we after the same Citroen, but you also own a Fiat 124 Sport. My first car was an 1800cc version which was a great car until the rust took over. Probably not the best car for a student with no money, especially when the cambelt broke amongst other problems, but I loved it and it was different too any other students car.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Hi Waxee.
Yes I've got my 124 sport, single headlamp AC model, very rare now.
I'm trying to raise some money to buy body panels and the like to get it back on the road.
I'm also after a car body cradle/tilter if you know of one?
You seem to posting well for your VSX, I take it your happy with it?
The garage was offering a warranty, can you not take it back to get a few things sorted?
Waxee

Post by Waxee »

I would like to offer you a pile of parts to keep the Fiat on the road but unfortunately that was in South Africa and all I have left is the Haynes manual for keepsake.
The Citroen is fantastic. I laugh at the idea of fun motoring at low cost. Having depreciated when new (somebody elses problem) it is now a cheap runner with all the comfort. I did the brake mod last night and also adjusted the throttle. It was locked off at the diesel pump reducing the max speed. It now goes faster and stops faster. Fantastic.
I dont think the garage offered me a guarantee when I bought the car, probably because I took over an hours to check the car over, they may have thought it would have started costing them, they appeared to be more of a bodyshop than a garage.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Thanks for the offer of the 124 bits, nice thought.
What's this brake mod? removing the spacer?
Waxee

Post by Waxee »

Brake mod is simple, Remove plastic assembly that is fitted to the back of the brake pedal. It is what activates the brake valve when you depress the pedal. Disassemble, remove spring and replace with equally long pipe (I used 15mm copper water pipe) Re-assemble and fit back on the brake pedal. Brakes now operate like a switch. Takes some getting used to but a lot less vague than before.