Day on the ZX TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Day on the ZX TD

Post by Jon »

Spent all day on the ZX TD today.
Clutch job went without any snags at all, even the (always) siezed in roll pin on the clutch arm tapped out fine! Picked up a handy tip from Doug at Louis Barbour's. The ZX TD box is always tight to get out and the bottom RH diff housing (the bit that sticks out where the RH driveshaft and speedo drive live)always fouls the subframe, I've always just tried to wiggle the box out in the past, which is a bit of a struggle. Today I learnt that this part of the gearbox unbolts with 3 13mm bolts, and saves disconnecting the speedo cable assembly, and gives loads more room to remove the g/box. You live and learn, never thought of that one.
Clutch cable was fairly challenging, but in the end unbolted clutch pedal and pulled new cable through with some electrical cable. Fitted new pedal clip, new cable, new bushes for clutch arm plus 3 new gear linkages, plus of course new Valeo clutch assy. The clutch is now so light that I find it scary.
That lot was knocked out by about 1PM so we went out for lunch in the naive belief that it was only the Rad change left to do. That took hours. Whatever I tried (then Louis after I threw my toys out of the pram, mama mama) we couldn't get it right. Despite new O ring on the bottom house, well lubed, clips clipped home, the bloody thing leaked. Tried various seals lubed up with washing up liquid so seal slid easily onto rad, finally OK by about 5pm, and by that time so paranoid about leaks put some water in and put the pressure tester on,
finally OK. What a silly design, what was wrong with the old jubilee clip! Bled out, road tested, no leaks. Clutch 100% OK as well, and felt happy.[:)]
Hey now its just the leaky front struts to do in a a few weeks and the ZX is 100% perfect.........I think! [;)]
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

nice one
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

You did extremely well Jon! and did yourself a big favour in the process.. You still own a good ZX :-) "best car on the road".. :-D
I better get my 40mph front wheel "gentle wobble" on the Avantage sorted this weekend, (worn linkage somewhere).. MOT due on monday.. :-)
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Well done Jon! I know that you had been expecting the clutch to give up. Now you have another 150,000 miles in which to forget all the tricks you learned this time! I'm glad it is all back together. For the record: Was it all done in a day?