MOT's in U.K. How often? (Just Curious)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

MOT's in U.K. How often? (Just Curious)

Post by ScottFromNZ »

How often do you guys in the U.K. require an MOT? I have 3 cars in N.Z. none of which do a very high mileage as I try to share the use among them. Regardless of miles travelled they must have a Warrant of Fitness (safety check - about $45 - 16 pounds in your money) every 6 months. Not too expensive but a bit of a PITA when a car may have only done a few hundred miles.
New cars are allowed a check once per year until 6 years old.
They have got quite strict with these tests in the last few years and any rust deemed structural will fail a WOF as well as many other things like faded seat belts, tyres less than 1.5 mm tread remaining, failed brake test (on the machine)etc.
BX passed last week - no probs - only done 5000 km's since last WOF!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Scott,
New cars must pass an MOT after 3 years, then they have to retested every year, regardless of mileage. The regs have got much tighter over the last few years, and we are promised (ha ha!) computerised systems any time soon, so testers will be able to see what it failed on before, and any advisories, so they can pay 'special attention' to those!
Have a look at the testers manual on www.motuk.co.uk if you're really bored to see the standard required.
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

We have a computerised system too now. It used to be known that some garages were easier on testing than others so if you failed at one you could drive around to another and ask for another test. Now a fail is recorded in the computer and also only 'approved' testing centres including dedicated testing stations are allowed to issue WOF's. Good for vehicle safety but some people with old bombs just drive around with no WOF - big fines but they just don't pay them and don't seem to care.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

No test for the first 3 years, then annually; the fee is about £43.00 but you never pay that as there are so many testing stations after your business; they are also supposed to charge for re-tests, but rarely do.
The test has been getting more and more picky and pedantic over the years, with things like windscreen cracks and emmissions being added, but its not hard to pass if you look after your car and its a good safety check for things you wouldn't normally spot.
There are some strange anomolies in it; the spare wheel is not looked at, even though you may have to use it on the road, at speed and in the rain, and brakes only have to meet 25 per-cent efficiency, but woe betide you if your a.b.s. warning lamp is on or your handbrake comes up too many clicks,even though you still have fully functioning brakes!
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Sounds very familiar, bxbodger.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

bxbodger
A spare is not required for the MOT but if one is carried it has to be legal for a genuine MOT pass.
Mark
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Mark-
As far as I can tell from the testers manual the test only applies to tyres fitted to road wheels only, a dodgy spare is an advisory but the car cannot be failed on it.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Bx and Xantia handbrakes always come up a long way, its the way they are designed.You can adjust them to perfection and in the mot station they come up too far, last time on my xantia it went too many notches, I got in, pressed the foot brake a few times and hey presto, it had adjusted itself again.
Pass
Paul