DS9 Non Phev poor/ noisy ride quality

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DS9
Donor 2024
My Cars: DS Automobiles - DS9 performance Line + 1.6 225hp Petrol

DS9 Non Phev poor/ noisy ride quality

Post by DS9 »

The DS9 car is so rare I probably won't get a response anytime soon but here goes.

Prior to purchasing my petrol DS9 performance line+ (non active scan suspension) I test drove a pHEV Rivoli with active scan for a day, circa 80 miles. The suspension was very good, well unnoticeable really which is how it should be.

On that version there are 5 driving modes, and the active scan engages in 2, sport and comfort. I think I drove it mainly in eco or comfort and it was fine as I remember. the only criticism came from the family who commented at times it was too floaty.

Since getting my DS9 I have one constant annoyance, the ride comfort/ noise, and I do believe it is exacerbated by the rest of the car with acoustic glazing generally being so quiet. Driving around average quality roads at 20mph/ 30mph it just seems to pick up every bump in the road. In a way it's like I can feel the road surface in the car. Added to that is the noise, and small imperfections seem to be picked up as a thud but are definitely more noticeable arising from the passenger side.

I've tried to suppress it a bit with MLV underfloor mats, just a bit piece cut to size, seems to make no difference.

I took it into the DS garage and went for a test drive with a technician on smoothish roads and he kept saying "thats normal" but then driving home on rougher roads decided it wasn't.

Overall I think the car is well rounded and an 8/10 at least in nearly all areas, but it feels like the ride is 4/10 and I'm trying to get it sorted.

Whilst writing this I have had an idea, the DS garage has a demonstrator with active scan so next time I'll ask them to drive with me over the same route back to back in Eco mode so the suspension should be the same on both cars.

I post on another forum where I guy has the same model, apparently his is fine. He's owned Jags in the past, and I can't find anyone else who has the same problem.
Iansel
My Cars: DS7, VW ID.3, Triumph TR3,
Gone - BMW 123, Megans , Grand Scenics, Xantia, Renault 21, Peugeot 405

Re: DS9 Non Phev poor/ noisy ride quality

Post by Iansel »

long shot but have you checked the tyre pressures?
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

They are about where they should be or we're last time I checked.

I had a puncture in August a few weeks after buying, a screw went through the tyre a bit. Checked them all then.
Heinzy8
My Cars: DS9 Performance Line + PHEV

Post by Heinzy8 »

Hi. Sorry to jump into your thread but I’ve recently purchased a DS9 PHEV and am very disappointed with the battery range I am getting on a charge.

I know the weather contributes and it is winter but a full charge only registers 14 to 16 miles. A long way off the supposed figure of 38.

I realise you probably would never achieve that but 14 is a very long way off!

Could you please tell me what sort of figure you are achieving.
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

As the title suggests I have a Non PHEV version. I had a 24 test drive of the PHEV and quite liked it, especially the silence in town when it just runs on electric alone.

Take the manufacturers figures with a pinch of salt, in winter i think this drops off massively. Tht said 14 miles does sound a bit low but I think if you look on any car forum it's a common issue of many brands, not just DS.

When I came to making a decision I always like a delivery miles car, I could get that with the petrol but not with the PHEV....unless I ordered one which I was never going to do. Then despite quite liking the extra toys on the rivoli like the cooled seats I thought the leather looked average quality, the alcantara on mine I believe is better. What did it for me though is 225hp and 1540kg for my car vs 250hp and 1870kg for the PHEV. I just saw it as unnecessary weight especially as i have no charging point at home. Performance for the 2 versions is virtually identical.

Could be handy for me if you stuck around as DS9 owners are rare on the ground (less than 80 ever registered in the UK), and even rarer on forums.

Just wondering if you ever managed to get android auto to connect wirelessly? I tried for ages but I don't think the capability is there. I'm going to get a dongle USB memeory type stick looking thing for christmas which should do the job for under £50.
Heinzy8

Post by Heinzy8 »

Hi

Sorry a bit of brain freeze not reading your post correctly 😩

Thanks for the reply though. Yes 14 miles does seem low to me too but it’s booked in at the dealership tomorrow to fix a windscreen washer jet that’s not working at all and I will mention it then.

No, sorry I’m not sure on the wireless android auto as I’ve only had the car 2 weeks so I’m still learning and experimenting. I’m an iPhone user and have had Car Play working wired but will have a play about and let you know if I’m successful.

Yes you’re right DS 9 owners are quite a rare breed so I will be keeping an eye on the forums as it’s the only one I’ve really managed to find. Luckily though I live 2 miles from my DS dealership!!
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

That's ok, I did wonder after if I could have chosen a better title.

If you are taking it in I suggest you check 2 things on your car. On the rear drivers side light check for creases on the chrome underneath the fitting. If you look at the black DS9 on autotrader at £26,900 it's pic 21/23, and i had exactly the same creases in the same place on mine. They are changing it in due course under warranty.

Then there is a recall which is kinda not a recall but a known fault, and it's a bit harder to spot. On the front wing.....the strip with the badge on, if you tap it at the end on the passenger side it's fixed, but on mine when i tap it on the end of drivers side it feels a little bit loose, its very minor but noticeable. I thought the solution would be a quick reaffixing but the DS technician deemed it substandard, and the dealer has gone to the trouble of getting a new part, its been sprayed, and waiting to be fitted, again under warranty.

For the 2 things above I have them booked in for January.

The thing i dont like about wired android is the cubby hole cant be closed on top of the wire, it perhaps could at a push but might deform the lid.

I'm thinking of getting a "MSXTTLY Wireless CarPlay Adapter, U2C-AIR" off amazon, they were £48 but now back up at £60. With the cubby hole also having the wireless charger in it the big dongley ones would take up too much space.
Heinzy8

Post by Heinzy8 »

Just checked the two things you mentioned and mine are ok at the moment. Thanks for pointing them out though and I will monitor the situation.

The creases on the chrome trim on the one on Auto Trader are very worrying, so will be keeping a close eye on that.

Let me know how you get on with the car play adapter if you go ahead and purchase it. You’re right about the cubbyhole and cable. Looks so untidy!
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

If you open the boot and look from the side you'll notice the chrome trim is actually part of the light fitting unit. I think the rear light is about £350 to replace, cant remember if that's for the part or includes fitting. Like I said it's uncanny, the creases in that pic are in exactly the same place as they are on mine.

I wouldn't be surprised if the front bumper is far more costly. I did have another car ready to buy but pulled out, apparently it was in the garage doing a front bumper warranty repair so it is a known issue.

I'll let you know how the adapter goes when i get one.

Can i ask you a favour please? If you go back to the initial post you'll see what my issue is with the suspension. next time you are out and about say doing 20-30mph on a poorish road.....and no doubt in the active scan comfort mode, could you just flick it into ECO mode where active scan isnt activated and tell me if the ride changes a lot?

I haven't got active scan on mine and it seems to feel every bump in the road thudding and banging away.

I presume the 2 suspension systems are a similar setup in non active scan mode.
Heinzy8

Post by Heinzy8 »

I don’t have active scan on mine either. With it being a PHEV there’s no Eco mode. Just comfort, hybrid, sport and electric.

I must say though after my time with it on a selection of different road types, the ride is extremely good and very comfortable. Hardly feel any bumps at all.
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

I've made the same error as yourself, thinking you had a car that you hadn't. Normally the PHEV's are Rivoli+, so you have a rare car, one of only 6 in the country. It'll be almost identical inside to mine with the Alcantara seats.

But I've just checked the 2021 brochure and yours is definitely active scan and has ECO mode. See the manual here https://www.manuals.co.uk/ds/9-2021/manual?p=102

As you can see it only activates in Comfort and sport.

Just one more thing, try downloading the DS app, its ok. Once you've typed your vin into it the manual etc is listed and it tracks mpg and miles etc.
Heinzy8

Post by Heinzy8 »

Wow, thanks so much for that info. Very helpful. I would never have known.

To be honest I wasn’t that impressed with the salesperson at the hand over. Hardly explained anything about controls etc.

Yes, mine is a 71 plate performance line + with alcantara trim which I preferred over the leather in the Rivoli that I test drove.

I will try it in sport and comfort and see if there’s any difference in the feel of the car.

Yes, I already have the My DS app which is good for keeping a check on petrol and battery range and pre heating on a cold morning. It’s also telling me there’s a touchscreen update and a map update. I’ve downloaded the touchscreen one to the appropriate usb drive and will install it over the next few days to see what, if any difference it makes.

Could I just ask if your car has heated seats? I can’t for the life of me find any setting to turn them on. On the Rivoli I tested they were on the touchscreen. It’s very hard to imagine a car costing over 46k new would not have heated seats.

DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

Just looked and I forgot to post the numbers for you, here it is https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=ds9

Only 80ish ever registered in the UK. I know my version is one of a large fleet order of 30 ish that was cancelled, then they offloaded them bit by bit, drip feeding them to car supermarkets and the like.

I find the same with the salespeople, because it's like nothing else they've ever sold they know nothing about them. I got mine from a Nissan dealer.

Sport and comfort are the same, they both activate the active suspension, id just like to know your feeling between those versions and the others.

When you do the USB installs the car has to be kept running....well with battery on. For me i havent got the PHEV battery so it soon goes into eco mode and shuts down....it may be ok for you. As such I did my installs on longish drives. Maybe 45mins to an hour is enough. Neither update did much (but id do the touchscreen one anyway) in my opinion and the map update makes no difference if you use android/ apple auto and Waze normally. The new cars have an IRIS system and I'd love that to come to our cars.

That said it might be best to do both, I do like to run waze on the centre screen and then the DS tom tom version of sat nav (just to see the route, I don't program in a location) in the front of driver display......a 2nd opinion. If you sign up to the tom tom you get 3 years free. I got mine at 13 months old, signed up and got 3 years.

Im trying to get the 2021 brochure linked which would tell you what you have and haven't got, I have a copy on my pc but can't remember where to find it on the internet, and this site won't allow me to attach my pdf. Its the October 2021 version.

I never bothered about not having heated seats, the alcantara is snug anyway, but i would have liked the ventilated ones for summer. Well it's kind of snug. I've discovered I have an issue with heating on the drivers side and it only blows cold air (DS Say it might be the heater matrix)....but ive found a way today to make it blow hot air. It's booked in at the dealer for early Jan so hopefully will be sorted with the other stuff then.

Overall I love the car....if it wasnt for the ride comfort on mine.

...then I think I've found a way to get road noise down at motorway speeds which I'll tackle in the new year.
Heinzy8

Post by Heinzy8 »

Didn’t realise that these cars were as rare as that at all. Quite nice really to have something a little different.

I’ve actually managed to find a 2021 brochure on line. It’s saying heated seats as standard in mine which is slightly confusing but as you say, the alcantara is a lot warmer than the leather so I’m not too fussed.

I’ll take your advice about the usb updates and do them whilst driving just in case.

Actually reading through the manual link you kindly sent me I’ve just discovered the regenerative breaking B button on the gear leaver which may help out with my battery range.

Like you, I love the car. Comfort is second to none. Much better than the Mercedes C class that was my previous car.

Thanks again for all the advice you have passed on to me. It’s very much appreciated!!
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

Very rare. I test drove a Citroen C5X just as it came out in July 22 and the first time i saw one of those on the road was a couple of months ago. Howmanyleft apparently says 1,800 are on the road. The DS9 is about 20 times rarer. I don't drive much but living in London and being out and about a lot I do see a lot of cars. I think it's unlikely i'll ever see another DS9 on the road.

I love the fact it is so rare, people give it a good look over. I've only heard it being mistaken for something else twice since I got it. One of my neighbours looked and thought it was an Aston Martin, and then a few days later I was in Halfords and 2 guys popped out of the shop, and I overheard one say to the other "what's that? a new Aston Martin?" I chuckled. There must be something Aston Martin'ey in the styling....personally I can't see it.

One thing about the map updates, they come in separate countries, a lot of them random like Azerbaijan, etc. Just select the ones you need and it'll be a lot quicker. I did too many and think it took around 50 mins.

I dont have the "B" button but I guess it will help a fair bit, might even get you up to 20/25 mile electric range. I found when I got mine I was too eager to drive and admire it and got to the book later, it's well worth a skim read, I know I learnt things that I didn't know about. I did activate the accessibility drivers seat thing for a while at first where the seat moves back and forth when you enter/ exit the car but that's worn off now. I still have the swivvely welcome lights activated though.

One thing I did with mine is because I had some Dodmat sound insulation left over I covered the boot floor in it, very easy to do and maybe took an hour max. Not sure it'd work on the PHEV though with the batteries. I think it's made it a little quieter. Next, sometime in spring I'm going to take off the internal boot side surrounds and go over the rear wheelarches with probably dodomat and mass loaded vinyl.

Then I'm going to do all 4 wheelarches, this type of thing.

The guy in the video says he gets 1-2db, but seeing the readings I think it's more like 2-3db. I think it'll be a noticeable difference.

I find because the car is very quiet in many areas, the acoustic glass, small mirrors and slippery shape mean there is very little noise apart from road noise.