Big Problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jazz2001
My Cars:

Big Problems

Post by Jazz2001 »

On my way back from Durham yesterday and a massive rise in temperature appeared. So i stopped and after a long time debatin with the BP water pump i called the RAC. Today the car went into a reliable dealer, the head is cracked so whats my next option?
Its a xantia 1.9 TD LX by the way L reg
I can get a Pug 405 TD engine for 70 quid and it is in near excellent condition? Do i buy this and replace (is it possible?) or do i buy this and change the heads (again is this possible?)
Do i buy a recon head?
Do i scrap the car?
Do i buy another Xantia and replace engines?
Is there any other engines where the head or the complete engine is compatible with mine? I dont want a mess on with changing things.
This is a serious question, i travel a fair bit and need the car back ASAP, im using the old mans car from now on until my car is fixed but the longer it takes the more it costs me.
If anyone has a head available would you let me know? or an Engine?
Apart from this the Car is immaculate!
Jazz
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Is the Pug engine in a running condition? You should find it will fit your engine bay. You may need new engine mounts though as a precaution and while the engine is out, why not change the cambelt, tensioner and water pump and cam seals too. All small cost and easy to do while the engine is out, but a bugger doing when in.
Paul
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Consider the problem before you choose the solution. Your car overheated. Why? Can you identify the root cause of the problem? Once the problem is identified, the solution(s) become apparent. Your cooling system needs to go under the microscope.
Also, why did the head crack - and where did it crack? Heads crack around pre-combustion chambers (OK if not too bad), between cylinders (bad news) or elsewhere (unusual). Was it too much cold water into a hot engine that did it? Is that "BP water pump" the kind in an engine or the kind on a garage forecourt?
Weigh cost and time to repair against utility. Take a long hard look at any other faults on your car. If the rest of your car is good for many more miles without major work, then consider all options (even an "uneconomic" repair). There are plenty more Xantias out there, though, to the best of my knowledge.
Don't move until you know the faults and the costs of all the solutions.
"I can get a Pug 405 TD engine for 70 quid" - OK if it IS "known good" and you have time and facilities for an engine swap and all the ancilliaries wrinklet1 mentions. And you ensure all Xantia-specific bits come off the old engine (is the cracked head still off-car?).
"Do i buy a recon head?" Possibly - but only one with a guarantee and only to be fitted with new head bolts and ancilliaries AFTER you have found and fixed the iniitial problem.
Do i scrap the car? Your call - you should know its value and its good and bad points better than anyone else. Would it make a good donor car for another Xantia, assuming you have space?
Do i buy another Xantia and replace engines? The other kind of "donor car" Again, you'd be silly not to get all the ancilliaries in as wrinklet1 says, and you don't have to fiddle about with minor changes like removing vacuum pumps on a Pug head. But if you can buy a good enough Xantia, why rip out the engine?
More food for thought, I hope. Again, there is no "right" answer until you define the problem.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

If you are sure that you know what you are doing, the Pug head is your cheapest bet. You will have a lot of work on, though. As David says, first find out what went wrong.