altenatives to Rilsan Tubing?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tedperkins
My Cars:

altenatives to Rilsan Tubing?

Post by tedperkins »

Is there any experience out there with alternatives to the Rilsan tubing used in LHM return lines? I'm rebuilding a CX2200 & I want to replace the soft return lines. Replacing all the lines with new OEM Rilsan tubing would be very expensive. I've seen other items equivalent to "Citroen OEM" being sold under a different name for far less money. I'm wondering if the same holds true for the rubber return tubing.
Some people have said petrol line is OK, but I'm concerned about seepage through the tubing wall. Others have recommended clear vinyl tubing, but I have the same concern - the LHM will permeate the tubing wall and cause the tubing to become brittle.
Regards,
Ted
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Ted, in my experience petrol pipe is a 100% replacement for LHM returns. Just make sure it is the correct diameter.
What year is the CX?
tedperkins
My Cars:

Post by tedperkins »

Thanks for the reply. The car is a 1977 CX 2200 Pallas that I imported to New York from Australia. It's a Series I Grande Exportation version with NO RUST :-) The 4-speed transmission self-destructed (weak synchros), so I am in the process of swapping in a 5-speed box. The 5-speed came from a 1980 Prestige, along with the hydraulic clutch that uses HP to operate the clutch, not driver effort.