Xsara VTS?? what are they like?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesesliceking

Xsara VTS?? what are they like?

Post by cheesesliceking »

Hello,
My buddy has gone & got his other half knocked up so he's selling his 52 plate Peugeot 206cc.. (total hairdressers car)to make way for more of a family car..
He has seen a Xsara VTS & wants one!!
My questions are...
Are they failry easy to pick up 2nd hand?
Are they well equiped?
Are they reliable (for a citroen)?
Any major faults to look for when checking them over?
& his most important question.. Are they quick?
Although quick doesnt really mean much coming from a 206cc.. oh man they are sloooooooow... chipped up to 160BHP & its that slow of the mark he cant keep up with me up until about 45-50...
Any opinions appreciated!
[8D]Cheers[:D]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

206cc gah great idea selling it heh!
as for the xsara, its quite quick, 8 secs to 60, 137 top end, 145lb torque i belive so quite good mid range. Air con, multi cd etc may have been standard, certainly all for sale seem to have it. Interior is a bit funny seat pattern wise like the saxo vtr/s's
go onto www.autotrader.co.uk setup a free account then search for citroen xsara vts and you will find tons. Ive been looking myself, quite easy to pick up a good S/T reg one for 3.5k with 60,000.
Not sure regarding reliability etc but as they are so unknown and undesired the depriciation is horrendus, you can find them so cheap.
Just one example...
1998 CITROEN Xsara 2.0i 16V VTS
3 Doors, Manual 5 speed, Hatchback, Petrol, 54,000 miles, Green Metallic. Seat Height Adjustment, Adjustable Steering Column, Air Bag, Air-Conditioning, Alarm, Alloys, Body Coloured Bumpers, Central Door Locking, Centre Rear Seat Belt, Clock, Electric Adjustable Mirror, Front Fog Lights, Heated Rear Screen, Immobilizer, Manual Transmission, Nationwide Warranty, Passenger Air Bag, Power-Assisted Steering, Rear Spoiler, Rear Wash/Wipe, Reclining Seats, Retractable Rear Seats, CD Multichanger. £3,299.
Cam belts probably needed around 70k, take a look through the searches on here and on google for owner reviews. It will certainly be a lot better and quicker to drive than his 206. They offer a nice amount of lift off oversteer if youre that way inclined as well :)
OT: an Ax gt500 was competing in a Sprint I was marshalling yesterday at North Weald air field. Got 2nd in class beating two 106 rallyes and behind my friend in his metro gti 16v which is unbeaten in 6 events this year. They are so lol fast and no one knows about them as they are a grandparents car with a bodykit :D
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

also i refuse to belive you can get that 2 litre engine in the 206 from 138 to 160bhp just with a different chip! is that just a sales pitch figure or has he had it rolling roaded to prove it? Its very rare to see more than 10bhp gain with rechipping normally aspirated engines unless you have done other things like cams, throttle bodies etc and of course ignoring turbo'd cars
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Quality, thanks for the info matey thats a lot of car for sweet FA money! I might get one myself.. but i just love the AX tooooo much, You just cant beat it for grin factor! i expect the Visa GTi is the same[8D],
I dunno if he got it RR tested to be honest its just what he said, He had the work done at Well Lane Turbo Centre in Batley, which are suppsoed to be fairly reputable.....I just laughed & said well you can chip it all you want but you still cant beat me..ROFLMAO[:D][:D]
I dont believe they actually change the chip anymore, they just remap it. if its not 160 its going to be fairly close, but when the thing weighs as much as 12 elephants it doesnt really matter!
Those Metros are v quik i remember watching them rallying when i was a weee lad. they were swweeeettt. but yes they do look like it should be your grandad driving it!!
GTs are great on sprint races, they weigh nowt from standard (710kg) Not sure what regulations they have to race to but if you really go to town on stripping it out hey presto! [:D][:D][:D]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by VisaGTi16v</i>

Cam belts probably needed around 70k, take a look through the searches on here and on google for owner reviews. It will certainly be a lot better and quicker to drive than his 206. They offer a nice amount of lift off oversteer if youre that way inclined as well :)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
worth noting the timing belt is due at only 50,000 miles on this engine.
they go like s**t btw.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

My mum has a 1.4 Xsara and its the biggest piece of crap we have ever owned. Nothing works and its HORRIBLE and I mean HORRIBLE to drive.
Maybe the VTR/S is a different breed altogether. I'd rather walk than use the standard one though.
One of the worst things about that car is the throttle. Its like a switch. I think it may be faulty but even if it is there are plenty of other failings to put me off.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

As an owner of a Xsara VTR (1.6) It's is a good car a little fault last week but apart from that it does every thing I ask. It's not the quickest thing off the mark. Saxo VTR will beat it throught bends and on the straight. But for cost there's nothing cheaper on the market. Paid £2500 for a 1998 'S' reg with full Citroen history supplied by the local Cit dealer 39k on the clock (checked HPI etc) and it looks the buisness. Only difference between the 1.6 & 1.8 VTR is on the 1.8, alloys are sexier, air con, leatheret finish seats with a lumbar support, CD changer in the boot and disc brakes alround. The 2.0 is the same beast but with a lower profil, bigger alloys and a lot, lot, lot quicker. Also the insurance starts to go up, up and away. Rear seat is good for those with sort legs. If your mates after a bargin though my local Citroen dealer is this morning selling a 53 plate Xsara VTR HDI (diesel) with every opptional extra in red for under £8k, ex demo. Citroen Kidderminster Brooklyn if he wants a look.