Please help with Xantia matrix info.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Taxi-Paul
My Cars:

Please help with Xantia matrix info.....

Post by Taxi-Paul »

Hi,
Just had my matrix go in my 1.9 Xantia TD. I've searched and read a few posts for info but can't get my hands on a manual. I've started stripping down dash but could do with a bit more info on some of the bolt positions etc. I've done a fair few matrix's but never a Xantia [:(]
If anyone knows somewhere on the net with maybe some accompanying pic's to help I'd be pleased to hear [;)]
I'm getting up at 6am to carry on with it [xx(]
Cheers Paul
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Hi, If you post your email address I can send you a few pics that I took a week or two ago when i did my matrix.
Regards
tebster
Taxi-Paul
My Cars:

Post by Taxi-Paul »

Hi thanks, I think you can e-mail me by clicking above my post, appreciate your help [;)]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Paul, if you do a search on posts in my name you will find a few going into detail on this subject.
Taxi-Paul
My Cars:

Post by Taxi-Paul »

Thanks Richard I've had a read and now feel even less inclined than earlier [:D] Do I really need the LHM tank off? If so are we talking pipes off etc? Thanks again, Paul
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Does your xantia have aircon ? If it does then there is no need to take lhm tank off.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Tebster, how do you get to the dashboard fixing nut behind the LHM tank without removing the tank?
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

There is no need if aircon is fitted as heater unit splits into two parts via two 10mm bolts, the bolts are located at the top and bottom of the heater unit in the centre section, all that has to be removed in the engine compartment is one 10mm nut directly below the heater matrix connections and the two torx bolts on the retaining plate for the matrix connections.
I gather you have followed the haynes manual, this tells you to remove loads of stuff which really is not necessary, a post trim panels for eg.
On later models removal of the steering column is not needed, just unplug all connections to switches and undo the four 13mm nuts which retain the column and it can be lowered to the floor without even removing the steering wheel.
I am going to write a proceedure for this task soon which will enable you to do it in under six hours, As soon as complete I will post it on here.
Regards
tebster
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Sorry Tebster I'm missing something here, unless I removed the whole dashboard (1998 MK1 VSX Estate) I couldn't get to the heater unit.
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Also forgot to mention, the bolt behind the LHM tank is not a dashboard mount, its the second mount on the heater unit, the only dash mounts that are in that area are located under the scuttle panel, 3x 10mm nuts which are covered by rubber bungs and deep socket is needed to undo them.
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Dash still has to come out but heater unit bolt behind LHM tank is not necessary with models fitted with aircon.
Taxi-Paul
My Cars:

Post by Taxi-Paul »

Hi Guys,
Completed job by 1pm today, started at 7am this morning. I did finally get a manual but not till 11.30 am so I had to use all my mechanical experience and work most of it out myself.
The hardest part and most worrying was removing/replacing heater hoses, as I was not sure exactly how they came off having not done one before on Xantia. Once they came off (boy they were tight!) I could understand it better [:D] I found no need to remove LHM tank as the bolt was easily accessable after removing top of air cleaner housing and adjoining air intake hose, (5 clips + 1 jubilee clip) but however as Tebster says, I actually have NO air-con but could clearly see that only 2 bolts would of split the heater housing Inside the car.
Being as I could get to this nut behind LHM tank I did not bother undoing 2 bolts inside of car to split it. I could then move whole heater housing away from bulkhead by about 6" , just enough to remove matrix without actually removing whole of heater assembly.
There was no need for any heater cable dis-connection neither.
I've run it up for a little while, bled it, heater is hot and no leaks touch wood so far [;)]
However, a mate popped round in the final moments with some beer so a test drive is outta the question [^]
Many thanks to all who replied [;)] Paul.
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Good on yer matey !
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Am I correct in assuming that BX and Xantia heater matrix are prone to problems and is this because the material/design is not what it should be or is it because the coolant mix is critical?
I ask because I would like to change mine and any tips/recommendations that help would be appreciated. (I hope it does't involve grotting about under the car which I find rather difficult, even when the car is on axle stands)
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

John F,
Its not the material of the matrix but whe way it is fitted into the dashboard, fitted vertially instead of horizontally, get full on crap and crude.
Paul