SWITCH ANY HARM TOWING.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goodier
My Cars:

SWITCH ANY HARM TOWING.

Post by goodier »

DOES PUTTING A SWITCH ON THE COOLING FAN FOR COOLING WHILE TOWING DO ANY HARM TO THE CAR / FANS, FOR HILLS ETC.[8D]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Depending on model you may have two fans, it is then possible to fit a relay/switch to manually control one of them and leave the other on the automated system.
Stewart
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Running the fans all the time would not be a good idea. Fuel consumption rises, as does engine wear. Quite frankly, the existing system is ok and will cut in when needed but for peace of mind (well, as near as you can get with a Citroen:-)fit a switch .
Owing to the strange Citroen system, The best method would be to wire one end of your switch to earth and the other to the high speed contact of the radiator switch. If you put a bulb across one of the fans, wired back to the dash, you'll know if the fan is running. The lamp will glow dim at low speed and bright at high speed. This should also protect you from switch amnesia.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

All the years I used a BX TZD for towing my caravan to Southern Spain, I very rarely heard the fans come on. What I did find of benefit was to fit a temperature gauge.