Purflux Oil Filter failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossd
My Cars:

Purflux Oil Filter failure

Post by rossd »

Recently, I have noticed the oil pressure light has been staying on for a couple of seconds after startup in the 306. (I know this is the Citroen forum, but its a cautionary tale!) Odd, as usually, even on a cold start the light had gone out before the engine had even fired. It has been getting worse over the last few days. I use Purflux filters as they are OEM and have the drainback valve fitted. Removing the oil filter this morning, and no oil came gushing out as is usual when I remove the filter. This is probably why it was taking a couple of seconds to build oil pressure, the filter was empty. Looking at the filter, it seems the drainback 'diaphragm' has gone floppy and failed in the open position, letting the oil drain back to the sump when the engine was switched off. (I have pictures, buts its very hard to see!) Luckily I had a spare filter to compare it too, which is now on the engine.
The odd thing is, this filter is only 3000 miles old (about 2.5 months). The filter I replaced it with is the same purflux, with the same date code stamped on it, so fingers crossed! I expected more from Purflux, although admittedly this is the first failure of its kind I've seen. Has anybody else had this kind of failure with this filter?
Ross
(Filter: LS 876B, Engine: XUD9TE)
Edit: Spelling
[:D][:D][:)]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Interesting reading!!! I think with anything thats knocked out by the million there's bound to be the odd duff one - I bought a champion one years ago for a Marina, and when I got it out of the box there was no screw-thread in the central hole, it was obviously just a dodgy one that slipped through.
I use Wix filters, simply because my local spares place stocks them at present. I haven't had any bother with them. Strangely, the air filter they supply for the round BX diesel filter housing is paper as opposed to the foam ones eveyone else supplies.
Does anyone ever bother to oil the foam ones as Haynes reccommend???- enough crap comes up the breather to do it for you!!!When I used to ride bikes in the days before kids, Yamaha RD two stroke twins had a foam filter which you washed in petrol, and then oiled again, at every service- they never needed changing, and the Peugeot/Citroen foam filter is the first one I have seen since those days- I also had one in a 205, but no-one else seems to use them that I know of.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Both our 205's, which have now gone to other owners, had foam filters which I oiled. I also washed them in petrol and reused them.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Hello all, on the subject of wix filter i also use them on our visa 17d, oil air and fuel. the air one didnt fit into the airbox very well though and had to trim the rubber ends a bit.
Hello BXbodger, nice to see mention of yamaha RD's here, i ride a late RD350ypvs daily, back into bike now that kids and mortgage are more established.
TTFN
aido

Post by aido »

interesting one that rossd, just recently the oil pressure light on my zx td has begun to stay on that little bit longer than normal. ive just done an oil change and when i removed the oil filter there wasnt a great deal of oil come out. that was a champion f118 and ive replaced it with the same one. wonder if i should have stuck with purflux??