C5 estate versus Xantia Estate....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Guys, I notice that high mileage C5 estates are cropping to around the 6K mark - not too far off the price of a late hi specced Xantia estate.
Now I know the C5 is huge (is it as big as a volvo?) but is it as good/reliable as a Xantia?
Any impressions gladly received.
Not imminently going ot buy one, but like to do my homework well ahead of time [:)]
Cheers
Dan
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Dan,
I've noticed the same thing, I think most of the basic mechanicals are the same as the Xantia, HDI engine etc, so the big question is how reliable is the build quality? In the past BXs etc always seem to go through a whole lot of bits wearing out at the 100 - 120k mark, Suspension arms, balljoints etc etc and if they were fixed then you could look forward to another 100k of relatively expense free motoring, my current xantia has just passed its MOT at 110k with all the bits that would have needed replacing on the bx still ok and original so maybe Citroen have finally realised that having parts that are only just man enough for the job is not a very good idea. When i look at the mechanicals on my mate's Merc they look like they were designed for a very long life (is that why it weighs around 2 tonnes? :-))), but cost a fortune to replace. Perhaps somewhere between the two approaches is the right one, and I do feel that Cit build quality is on the up, still not as good as its innovational abilities, but going in the right direction. A mate of mine eventually bought a 406 estate because several of his friends had had loads of niggling electrical problems with their early C5s, many of them had actually reverted to Xantias because of the problems although most of them reckoned the C5 was a nicer car
Pete
________
Fake Weed
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.