Xantia heater blower?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

Xantia heater blower?

Post by paranoid »

Just started car, tried to put heater on but it wasn't blowing, checked fuses all were ok, noticed that the heated rear screen was not working either, Air-con was cutting in normally, just not blowing.
restarted car and it worked perfectly, started again and nothing again?[V]
Any ideas anyone, bearing in mind i'm a bit slow on electrics
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Ignition switch comes to mind, unlike 'normal' cars that have high amperage items working by way of a relay, Citroen in their wisdom decided not to use a relay and save 20p per car. Consequently after a while the contacts in the switch wear out/break down hence why it worked when you re-started.
Try a breakers yard because I don't think that Citroen sell the switch independant of the lock assembly. With a little effort you will be able to separate the two items, however, how good will the breakers yard one be?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's pretty easy to stick a relay in to take this current - as long as you are still getting something out of the ignition switch there should be plenty of juice to swtich a relay over. There's a good post on Xantia-L - I'll find it later.
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

As well as the ignition switch, I would check power at the fan itself.
The fan speed controller is fitted in the fan housing on air-con models, you should find a 4-way connector going into the base of the fan with heavy black & red cables. This should be permanently powered when the ignition is switched on.
The fan on/off/speed is controlled by signals sent along the very thin wires in the same plug.
If that checks out ok, also look at the single heavy black & red wires that come from the speed controller to the fan motor. The red one should be permanently +12V, the black wire is switched.
On my car I had a similar problem with no blower, I traced it to the spade connector on the heavy red wire between the speed controller pcb and the motor, it gets damp and corrodes. I had to disasemble the fan, resolder a dry joint on the spade connector and apply contact cleaner.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Thanks people........ Will delve at the weekend, its worked perfect all day, I kept trying it all the time and not a problem.[:)]