bitron box

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

bitron box

Post by tomsheppard »

seems to be a problem. I'd like to see a broken one or a diagram of one. I think that there are probably worthwhile modifications or redesigns possible. Have any of our electronically inclined members done any erxperiments?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Greg James (mrbump) has 2 extra units : http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=6971
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

yep, i have two units, but both are working unfortunately (or fortunately???) you can have one to play with if you like.
cheers
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Can anyone post a pic of the bitron box and a pic of where it's usually located. Mine seems to be in the black box behind the o/s headlamp with the other black boxes but I want to be sure it's the right bitron!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

it should be under the N/S head lamp (left hand side)
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Sorry to be thick but what is a bitron box. I work in electronics so I would be interested in this methinks!
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wheeler</i>

it should be under the N/S head lamp (left hand side)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, I've had the headlamp out and removed the battery tray, but can only find the autobox computer, no sign of any other devices.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Thank you Mrbump for your kind offer. I intend to post my findings and, if possible fault finding and repair information on the net for the benefit of those using this device. My offboard e-mail is tomattomshepdotcodotuk where I can arrange to cover your postage etc.
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

Tom, has Mr Bump replied ?, I'd quite like the other bitron he has spare but I haven't had a reply from him. I have gone through the relays/fans on mine and I'm down to either the bitron or the wire from there to the relay that isn't paired ( if you see what I mean ).
I have no fans until past 90deg then nearside fan comes on full speed.
If I 'trigger' the single relay both fans spin at half speed.
Pete
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

That is the problem i have wotsupnow. no fans until about 95 and then the nearside one goes into hyperdrive. Mine is a 1997 peugeot 306 xtdt is this likely to be a problem with one of the relays and if so which one? Any help much appreciated
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

P 2501,
On the Xantia 1.9TD mkII, you remove a black plastic cover in front of the fans which gives access to the fans and a small box in the middle, remove the box cover ( 1 self tapper ) and you see three relays, 2 green ( single make/break contact ) and one black ( single change over contact ).
The lower offside green relay is controlled by one wire from the Bitron box, the other two are connected together and operate off another wire from the Bitron.
Energise the single relay only, both fans are connected in series and run at approx half speed.
Energise the pair + the single and fans are connected in parrallel and run full speed.
energise just the pair ( our fault condition ) and the nearside fan runs full speed.
If you swap the two green relays, then remove the brown plug off the sensor on the thermostat housing ( this makes the Bitron think the sensor is duff and it 'fails safe' by powering both fans at full speed ) and switch the ignition on 2 possible results are...
1: offside fan runs ( so relay is faulty )
2: nearside fan runs ( so relay ok and either bitron faulty or wire broke )
I understand the wire goes through a connector in the inner wing so could be bad connection there, I haven't had chance to look yet and as I've now fitted a new radiator it hardly ever reaches 90deg unless in a jam and then the single fan is enough to lower it.
Pete
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Thanks for that explanation Pete. I had a quick tinker last night and when i disconnected the plug (three contact) from the thermoswitch and bridged the contacts with a piece of wire, nothing happened except for some clicking sounds coming from the fan area. If i bridged the two contacts on the left i got one type of click, and then the outer two produced another different click.These are the relays i presume, does this mean they are working? I don,t understand why the fans didnt run when i did this.
cheers
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

Simply removing the plug without bridging anything will bring both fans on as a fail safe mechanism. The fans are fed via large fuses under the bonnet, the relays fed from smaller fuses near drivers position inside.
I hope to investigate this weekend ( wifes car and her mother is ill so she keeps taking it away ! ). I will try and do a diagram of the relays connections.